• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story :)

Hi Guys :)

I decided to join the forum today. My name is Sophie and I am 19 years old. I've had Crohns since I was 16. It all started with mouth ulcers and tiredness. I went to my GP god knows how many times just to be told 'it's a virus' 'you're coming to the end of a virus'. This went on for a good two months until my Dad demanded I had an emergency appointment at the hospital. That was in January 2010 and I was finally diagnosed with CD in September 2010.

My CD has always been relatively good to me. Until last month. I kept getting a swelling lump in my right hand side. I called it 'my alien' lol. Then 'my alien' made me really ill. I wasn't eating, all i wanted to do was sleep, i was in constant pain. I was down the hospital begging them to see me but they wouldn't. Then finally, I was told that they thought I had a partial obstruction. This was what my GP told me. I was put on gastro tablets, steriods, antibiotics, buscopan and my azathioprine. Turns out I was constipated? Have any of you been constipated before? Would it make me that ill?

Thanks guys I look forward to hearing from you :)

Astra

Hiya Sophie
and welcome

Well done for getting a quick diagnosis!
I've had a blockage too and it's the most horrendous pain ever, I was put on the same meds as you and healed very well.
So, just to confirm? Was it a gastroenterologist who said it was an obstruction and was it he who put you on these meds, and was it he who said it was constipation? Or was it the GP?
This right hand sided pain, known as the lower right quadrant, is where Crohn's is quite common, in the terminal ileum. I'm sure it was narrowed, restricted and blocked due to swelling with inflammation, not constipation. I could be wrong but this happened to me too.
Good luck with the meds xxx

Last edited:
Hi Sophie,

I was in the hospital a few months ago w/ a partial obstruction (from inflammation and an abscess) and the symptoms were quite different from constipation in my experience. Did they do a CT scan on you?

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
Welcome to the forum. Ya, I get sick if I get constipated. But it could also be that you were having some inflammation. I hope you start feeling better soon.

Jim (Pops)

It was a west call dr who said i had an obstruction and put me on all these tablets. My gastroenterologist then suggested it might be constipation and sent for an X-Ray which has come back suggesting I am. I just didn't know if being constipated would make that ill. It was literally to the point where I couldn't work for longer than 2 minutes because it just hurt so much.