• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Story

I have been avoiding the whole support group thing for years. But when looking for info on one of my medications, I came across this one. What I found was very helpful and made me feel better about the medication’s pros and cons. I thought I would say thank you by joining. It will be nice to have people to talk to who know what I have and had gone through.

I am a 34yr old mother of two, who was diagnosed with Crohn’s about 8 ½ years ago. A few months after I started in with symptoms, I became pregnant. At about 3 months into the pregnancy, I miscarried and had no idea why. That massive hormone change caused my Crohn’s to go full blown. It wasn’t until 3 or 4 months after this that I ended up in the hospital because I couldn’t deal with the pain any more. Within 2 weeks after that I was diagnosed with Crohn’s, and was told that is what had caused my miscarriage. I was informed that if I became pregnant during a severe flair up, that I could miscarry again. I spent the next several years on different medications to get things under control, and did have some relief, not remission, for a few years. During this time I ended up pregnant with my now 5yr old son. But, again the massive hormone change after I had him caused a yet another flair up within a year of having him. I did what I could to manage it, but with little success. I ended up being hospitalized 4 or 5 different times in a 6 month period. On my last admission I ended up having surgery, they took 6 inches of my large intestine and 1ft of my small intestine. Again, in less than a year, my Crohn’s returned. Over the past 3 years since my surgery, I have managed to keep things somewhat under control, until about 3 months ago. About 2 weeks ago I ended up being admitted again due to a bowel obstruction. It wasn’t anything in my large intestine that was causing it, but the bowel itself that was so swollen. I spent a week in the hospital on IV antibiotics, pain meds, prednisone, and a few other meds. I have been out a week, and feel better then I had before. Still not so great, but better. But, that’s also with the addition of new medications.

I have been on: Prednisone (more times then I can count), Asacol, Entocort, Apriso, Humira, Flagyl, Cipro. And about 2 other meds who’s names I can’t remember.

At time of last hospital admission I was on: Humira, Apriso, and Entocort.

Now I’m on: Humira, Apriso, Prednisone (again), and Imuran.

I’m not sure what to think about being on all these medications, more so the Imuran. But like I said, what other people with Crohn’s said about it made me feel better about being on it. But I do have a few questions. Has anybody else been on all four of these meds at the same time? If so, what side effects did you have? I haven’t been able to sleep well at all due to night sweats and very nauseas when I get up in the morning. I have also noticed my eyesight has changed, but I’m not sure if it’s from the meds in the hospital or the addition of the imuran and prednisone. Also, at least once a day I get an almost drugged feeling. Almost like when a pain med just starts to kick in. It can last from a few minutes to a few hours. Again, I’m not sure if it’s a side effect from the addition of the prednisone and Imuran. I go to my GI tomorrow for my post hospital follow up and will be able to find out more. Oh, and schedule that offal, every two year colonoscopy. I would just like to know about other people being on this combo of meds and the issues they had. Thank you so very much.