• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Story

Well this is my story. I live with my mom nana and papa. I was diagnosed in January 2013. I am in 5th grade, I am an honor roll student. I did have perfect attendant but now I have not so good attendants because I have been missing so much school since I was in the hospital. I finally just got home from being in the hospital for about a week. But besides being in the hospital I love to dance :dance: and draw. Well that is my story. Please give me some advise.:smile:

THANK YOU,
DancingTUMMYProblems<3:):)

Welcome to the forum. :) Sorry to hear that you were in the hospital. Did they send you home with medications? I hope you are feeling a bit better now. Hopefully you will be back to school in no time. :sheep:

Welcome Dancing Tummy.
Sounds like you have got a good outlook on things and a good support group. My advice would be to pay attention to what you eat (keep a food diary) and try to teach yourself what makes you feel worse.
Good luck, keep positive, and keep us posted

Hi and welcome.

You did a beautiful job of writing your story. I can tell why your Grandma is so proud.:kiss:
I'm a lot older then you dear and I have children of my own BUT my Grandma is still one of my favorite people.

I have a four year old with this disease. She loves to dance also. Of course hers is more of a spin and fall:eek: but she does it with such grace. lol

My advice is to ask question.
Get involve with your care. Ask question about what's happing and why.
Learn, so maybe some day you can help other kids like you.

Hugs

Welcome Dancing Tummy.
Sounds like you have a wonderful family who love and support you. I've spoken to your Nana on here.
My son was 10 when he was diagnosed, he was also in 5th grade. He is now 14 and in 9th grade. He plays sports and is still on the honor roll and taking advance classes. So you can still do all those things you love. Keep dancing!
It is really important you listen to your body and when you are feeling tired you need to rest. It may also help to keep a food diary as others have suggested at least at first. Not only to figure out what foods make you feel bad but also to make sure you are eating enough. It is very important to make sure you are getting enough calories and nutrients. Some kids find it hard to eat when they are not feeling well and there are special shakes you can drink to help. They may not taste very good at first but that is just because you are not used to them but you quickly become used to the taste.
Good luck - Keep us posted and if you have any questions please ask.

Welcome!!

My son was in 5th grade too when he was diagnosed. He missed quite a bit of school, but his teachers were pretty understanding. I kept reminding him just to give his body time to heal and to rest up, that seemed to help. He also had to sit out the entire basketball season. :(

But last year things turned around for him. It took a while but he got so much better. He is now playing basketball on two teams and doing really well at school. He is in 7th grade now and feeling great. I know this is all so much to take in at first, but hang in there and have patience.

So glad you found us, please let us know how you are doing. :)

My son was diagnosed when he was 10 and he's almost 18 now. There were some rough times but things got so much better. It did take a while - almost 2 years - so don't lose hope when things don't seem to be going well. Keep your eye on the prize as us grownups say and ask for hugs when you need them.

And did you know that it is possible to dance with an IV pole? You have to be careful though because they have 4 left feet. And you have to be very sneaky about pillow fights. :pillowfight:

:grr1d: :grr1d: :grr1d: :grr1d: :grr1d: :grr1d: :grr1d: :grr1d: :grr1d: :grr1d: :grr1d: :grr1d: :grr1d:

Polly wants a cracker sqauwk!

Hi dancing tummy
Welcome to this lovely forum .
I hope your feeling better after being in hospital.
It's not me who has crohns but my lovely
Daughter Lucy who is 4 years old, she was diagnoised
When she was 3.
My advise like many have said is ask questions
And do research,you sound like you have a lovely
Family who are there to support you.

Hi

I'm in England and my son has Crohns but I teach children your age and I bet your family are really proud of you. It is tough and it takes the doctors a lot of time to get things right. Everyone has different problems with their Crohns but the doctors will help. Keep positive and dancing because it is important to do things you love and that make you smile. Work hard when you are in school and rest when you feel bad. Good luck and I hope you are feeling better soon

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi dancing tummy. I hope you are feeling better and can get back to school. Sending you my support and best wishes. Dave :)

Hi Dancing Tummy, I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. My son was diagnosed with Crohn's when he was 15, he will be 17 tomorrow. Like everyone said, it can take some time to get everything settled down stay strong!

I hope the meds start working and you feel better real soon! Sending Hugs and Support from Georgia!

Hi, Dancingtummy....

What dancing do you like to do? My sister is a dance teacher and teaches children from around your age and even some high-schoolers. She's been dancing since she was 8 years old...she's 32 now.

Hi, Dancingtummy....

What dancing do you like to do? My sister is a dance teacher and teaches children from around your age and even some high-schoolers. She's been dancing since she was 8 years old...she's 32 now.

Hi dancing tummy, I'm sorry to hear of your tummy troubles! I have an 8 yr old son with Crohn's. He had a rough winter and spring, but he is feeling so much better now. He kind of feels alone sometimes, because he doesn't know anyone around his age that has Crohn's. But, he has a family that loves and supports him. It sounds like you do too! Hang in there, and keep doing well in school!

Hi DancingTummy,

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm sorry you're not feeling well right now, but it sounds like you have a great family that is working to get you well soon. Hang in there, sweetie!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi DancingTUMMYProblems<3:) and welcome to the forum! :D

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis and everything that you've been going through. Although I'm very happy that you seem to have a wonderful support system. :)

I was diagnosed when I was 9 during summer break before 5th grade. I also had a hard time with school due to being sick a lot. Best thing to do is to talk to your teacher and let them know how you're feeling. Your parents/guardians will handle the rest of the school stuff to make sure that you don't fall behind. I remember my teacher let me sit in the back near the door so I could slip out and use the bathroom without asking. If you think you need that then ask your teacher about it (or have someone else talk to them for you if you don't want to).

Make sure you get plenty of rest and don't overdo it on the playground. Its not uncommon to feel weak sometimes so if you do then sit down for a while. You can also get out of PE if you need to. I sat out sometimes but a lot of times I'd just get up and run with the rest of the class as I had bursts of energy here and there.

What kind of dance do you do (I'm assuming ballet by your avatar but do you do other kinds or is that your favorite?)? I never got to do dance classes but I did take some karate classes in 5th grade. I also draw. :) Would love to see some of your art work some time and if you want you can see mine too.

Keep us posted on how you're doing. :)

Well hello there. I also have a 5th grade daughter who is ten and is an avid dancer (ballet). We just got out of the hospital after a 2 week stay so I'm sure she can relate to your frustration. I will say hang in there because it will get better. Make those child life people find a bunch of fun stuff for you to do in there. I know it gets boring and/or the pain takes over if you don't stay busy. She LOVES those hot packs the hospital has for her belly pain. Doesn't take the pain away forever but it reduces it while it's hot. Keep your chin up. Maybe you need a penpal that can't relate!

Hello Dancing Tummy :) My love for you :) I feel so sorry when kids like you have to face such problems...brings tears to my eyes...God bless you..Just keep on pursuing with the passion you have that is dance. :) I salute you for braving all the difficulties...Keep rocking :) Also stress plays an important factor in this disease so try meditation daily to feel good about you :)

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello hun :)

I've seen some of your nans posts, you seem like a lovely girl with a very supportive family :) .

Research is important but be careful, keep asking questions and don't take what you see on Google as fact. It's full of stories of the worst case scenario because it's not as common for the majority of well, healthy, happy people to share their stories.

I'm so glad you found us, keep checking in, keep fighting this thing and keep dancing :) .

:welcome:

I am sorry to hear that you have not been feeling well. My son was diagnosed when he was 10 too. He is 12 now and in grade 7. In grade 5, when he was diagnosed, he missed almost half the school year because of his tummy pains. It took a while but now he hardly ever has tummy pains. Sometimes it just takes the doctors a while to figure out what medications are best for you and then it sometimes takes the medications a while to work.

:hang: it WILL get better.

Last edited:
Hi DancingTummy! My daughter is a dancer as well. She's been taking classes since she was 2 and now competes with her studio's team. Her dance family has been a great support system for her and I hope yours is too. Dance is such a beautiful thing and I know your grandparents must be so proud of your hard work despite being sick. Keep it up girl!

hi there!

I am new to this forum and I was ALSO diagnosed when I was in 5th grade. I am in 8th now. I missed almost a full month of school, my teacher supported me and was very understanding. I spent around a week in the hospital too. It was awful and terrifying. I am currently on Remicade which has been working great for me. I hope you are doing better and stay hopeful!!

madelyn