• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story

I got diagnosed with Crohn's last April at the age of forty. Prior to me developing issues maybe a few months before diagnosis I had been pretty regular my whole life. A normal poop once or twice a day. Man have things changed. Since my diagnosis I have pooped in my pants several times, my stool is always loose, you can just cuall it diarrheah to at times liquid. I frequently bleed, this is the part that freaks me out most and I go all the time, I can't be far from a toilet. I am currently on pred, 6mp and 800 mg of asacol a day. What bums me out is I still have problems with all that. I hate the bleeding. It doesn't help as well with the stress of medical bills from docs and er visits. Does it get better or is this my new life..

Welcome to the forum though I'm sorry you had a need to seek us out. How long have you been on the meds? Did you get any relief when they first put you on prednisone? 6MP can take a few months to reach full therapeutic levels. Is your GI aware of the symptoms you are still experiencing? Have you had blood work lately, are your inflammation markers high? Have you had testing to ensure that the 6MP is at therapeutic levels?

It can take some time to find the right medications to help you reach remission. When you reach deep, stable remission you shouldn't experience the symptoms you are having. It may be that 6MP isn't getting the job done.

I do hope you find some relief soon. I would stay on top of the GI about the symptoms and have regular tests to see where you stand as far as inflammation, blood work and fecal calprotectin stool tests can help determine the levels of inflammation.

Hang in there it can and does get better.

Welcome to the forum and it does get better. What is your level of Vitamin D? My daughter had all of your same symptoms as you for years (she was diagnosed at age 15) and her bleeding and uncontrollable stools (accidents were so common she started wearing diapers to college) were controlled when she started taking 5,000 IUs of Vitamin D3 and 400 MCGs of Folic Acid everyday. She enjoyed positive results after taking these supplements for a little more than a week. Check out the Vitamin D Council at http://www.vitamindcouncil.org and the StarPower site at http://www.starpowerlifesciences.org for more info.

Sometimes natural supplements can work as well, or better, than traditional medication.

I wish you all the best.

Thanks for the responses! I've been on pred now for a good month while tapering down from 40 mg to my current 15. My body doesn't seem to like the weening from it as I tend to feel crummy when I dropthe dose. With that said, iI've been on the 6mp now for about a month as well. The Asacol I've been on since April. I do get my blood tested, been checked once now and due fir another soon.

Yes I am very deficient in vitamin d and will certainly look into that. Thanks for the vote of support.

ive managed my disease and had one solid bm since 6 weeks being diagnosed, just by lowering lactose and sucrose intake and replacing milk with cheese and eating very little fruit or refined sugar, this is very similar to the Specific carbohydrate diet. its been difficult for me still and i wished i had utilized more meds to help me, but dietary changes can help you too.

im am planning on doing a fecal transplant thoough to restore the bacteria that had been wiped out from a course of antibiotics i took before developing crohns, new science strongly suggests antobiotics can cause IBD, but isnt the only cause of it.

here is all the info i gathered on it so far- http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=52400