• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Story

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in 1999 when my daughter was 8 months old. I was probably undiagnosed for at least 5 years. After a quick weight loss of 30 lbs my doctor tested me for everythings except crohn's. I was in pretty good condition, relatively speaking, and when I became pregnant I felt pretty good. Once the baby came, however, it was a different story. Once diagnosed I was put on pentasa worked well for a few years then tried entocorte, it also worked well for about a year, then back to pentasa. Tried imuran and lucky me am one the very few that is allergic to imuran - gave me pancreatitis. I was really quite lucky for a lot of years when I read some of your stories. I have been flaring very badly for one and a half years now - really started to be extreme when I had my last colonoscopy - I blame it on the pico salax prep...but who knows. I was told by an emerg doc that my extrememly high fever and excruciating pain was caused by "stress" :confused2: Pretty sure that wasn't accurate... Had an ultrasound, then a CT scan then an MRI then finally a CT Enterography which gave us a diagnosis of Acute Active Crohn's....shocking :) So, my GI increased my pentasa and sent me on my way. By mid summer my intestines were very swollen, inflamed, painful...etc you all know what I'm talking about. At that point I was put on prednisone. The prednisone was fantastic - felt better almost right away but as soon as I started tapering off my flare came back. Doc then suggested remicade. I've heard good things and bad things. As I said above I just had my 3rd infusion a couple of weeks ago - and am waiting for it to kick in. I am still flaring quite badly and am going back to my GI for something to help with that - I hope. That's my whole crohn's story to date - pretty much.

Other than that - I am happily married, have a beautiful 15 year old very talented daughter, and a 26 year old son and daughter in law who have given us 3 beautiful grandsons! Thank you for reading my story - I am looking forward to learning lots and gaining lots of support through this forum!

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello, welcome to the forum! I'm sorry I haven't seen your post sooner.

Im sorry to see you've had a rough time of late, unfortunately crohns loves to sneak up on us and cause mayhem just when things are going well. Many of us experience what you did with pred, it works wonders when we take the full dose, but when we taper, crohns comes back to bite. Remicade can take a while to kick in, but you can take other medications alongside it if need be, either just while waiting for it to kick in, or as a regular treatment, maybe using entocort in the mean time would be a good option for you, its fast acting, but it doesnt have the long list of side effects that pred does.

Hello and :welcome: My two Chi's you definitely came to the right place there are a lot of supportive people on here as well as good advice. Make sure to check out the Remicade support group.