• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story :)

I was just recently diagnosed with Crohn's Disease about 2 weeks ago, so I am super new to all of this. I am also only 17, so I really don't even know anyone else who has Crohn's.
I have seen and read about other people's stories, and I must say mine seems very atypical.
I had what I thought was just a bought with the stomach flu, but the symptoms (stomach cramping, diarrhea, nausea, fatigue, mild fever) persisted for about a week before I got concerned and saw my primary care doctor. I then made an appointment with her and she immediately referred me to a GI doctor and told me that I had to tell them it was urgent and to get an appointment the next day. This seemed alarming to me. So I went in to the GI doctor and he immediately said he wanted to do a colonoscopy in a few days. Immediately after the colposcopy he said that it appeared to be Crohn's Disease and gave me a month supply of Apriso. I had/still don't really know much about it. I understand that it is an IBD and what that means, but I don't see why it is so "life changing" and stuff.. But anyway he confirmed the diagnosis and now I'm just waiting on a blood test to see where I am with my vitamins and kidney function. I think that the medication is working though, I have still had minor cramping periodically, but no flares or anything again. So that's a plus!! I have been very weary about sharing my story but I hope that you all can give me some type of advice as to how I am suppose to handle and treat this!:)

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum!

Wow! Your story is very atypical in that you were diagnosed so quickly. Your doctors both sound fantastic.

Any chronic illness is very life-changing for the majority of people who have it - but not necessarily everyone. You may go into remission quickly and stay there for a very long time, or even permanently. Therefore, your Crohn's would have little impact on your life. Many of us have severe symptoms and don't go into remission easily, so much or all of our lives have to revolve around our symptoms. It sounds like things are going well for you, probably since they diagnosed and started treatment so quickly. Just keep in mind that Crohn's is a very serious condition and you need to stay on top of your treatment to make sure it doesn't cause problems for you.

It sounds like you have a good team of doctors, so you're already in a good situation there, as well. Do research of your own, as well - this is a good place to start. It's important to have doctors you can trust, but it's also very important to be your own advocate and understand your body and it's needs.

It's great that the Apriso seems to be helping you so quickly. Hopefully it will continue to do so for a long time. Just remember that there are other medication options as well, if ever you have problems again. Apriso is a mesalamine, which are the most gentle medications used for IBD. There's no reason to suspect it won't work for you, but if it doesn't, don't be worried, as you have many other options.

Do you know where in your digestive tract your Crohn's is active?

We have a Teens Only section, where you can talk to other teenagers who have IBD. At your age, the Young Adult Support Group might be beneficial to you as well. We also have a section in the Treatment forum dedicated to mesalamine medications. You can find it here.

I hope things continue to go well for you! :hug: Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have.