• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story

Ok so I am scum1. Had that handle since before the internet. I am 49 and was diagnosed originally with UC in Dec 2012. Went through a few crappy GI docs and then found my current DR who says I have Crohn's.
I have tried a lot of meds. Asacol did nothing to help. I was on pred for over a year trying to get off of it. Finally did a couple months ago! I tried Imuran and it really hammered my liver so I had to get off of it. Remicade almost worked but I developed antibodies so stopped. Currently I am taking Humira weekly and also 25 mg injection of Methotrexate weekly. I also take Canasa suppositories, folic acid, levothyroxin for thyroid, Atenolol for BP, and Xeralto for blood clots.

Been a rough couple of years. In the last 12 months was in the Hospital 3 times. Had salmonella, and cdiff(twice). Spent Christmas eve and day in hospital with clots in leg and lungs, was in for 3 pints of blood in January. Still no remission.

Also in Dec my wife of 24 years decided to leave. So now I am still in a flare(seem to be getting a little better), I am mister Mom to my 15 yr old daughter and I also have a 20 yr old daughter at home. I am also back to work after missing 2 months. Stress level is high and I probably don't take care of myself like I should. One way I deal with this stress is Tattoos. Have gotten 3 in the last 2 years that are pretty big

Hello and:welcome: to the forum there is lots of support, information and advice on here so don't hesitate to ask. Sorry you are having a difficult time :ghug:.

A few years ago I was a very athletic happily married man. Now I am a way underweight sick single couch potato. I'm adapting but it's not easy. Think the Humira and methotrexate are helping finally

I'm so sorry, scum1 - that sounds like a whole load of pressure and stress on you. What tattoos do you have? Sounds like the artistic side of you is through those.

Crohns can be very wearing on spouses - it's hard for people to understand what we're going through. Mine thinks that if I'm not complaining (or sick in bed) that everything is fine. Sometimes they just don't get it. I find venting here a help to keep my sanity.

Take care of yourself - sometimes we have to be selfish and only take care of ourselves. I hope the Methotrexate and Humira keep working for you.