• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story

Hello, I was diagnosed with Crohns during my sophomore year of HS when I became very ill and lost a ton of weight quickly. My mother brought me to our local clinic where she was told the reason for my condition was that I was using drugs intravenously. Left there immediately and went to the capital city of my state to a specialty children's hospital where after days and days of tests I was diagnosed. I had never heard of crohns or didn't really know how to take it as a teenager just being told I had a disease with no cure. I guess I just went along and took my meds and acted like a "normal" teen. In my early 20's I battled an addiction and went to prison in 2005. While in prison I developed an almost total blockage and went to the hospital and had my first resection taking a total of 18" of intestine. Being shakled to a bed for 17 days was not very fun. Went into remission and felt great until 2009 when I had another resection which removed another 3 inches or so. From then on I was living the most productive life I had ever lived and felt great about everything until this past late January I started noticing getting full after a half a plate of food.

We Superbowl Sunday I was back in the hospital with another blockage from the scar tissue where they had reconnected my intestine during the 2009 surgery. On a good note doc said there was no active crohns. Well I'm getting older now and this last surgery really took a lot out of me. It really opened up my eyes and I wished I would of taken alot better care of myself when I was younger. I have always been a strong person from battling this disease along with a rough childhood but I really am unsure if I have enough in me to make through another one of these bad bouts. Well my stomach incision was finally healed up when I started getting stomach pain again in April. Wasn't sure it was my crohns because it wasn't the common lower right abdomen pain that I was used to. Set up a Dr appointment and well the crohns has attacked me again. I'm just really really bummed that I didn't even get a period of feeling well after the last surgery. I have a feeling in my heart that this evil disease is finally trying to take the upper hand on me. I start remicade infusions this week. Pray for me

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi kmblanco. Welcome and thanks for sharing your story.

This disease can get the best of all of us at times. I'm glad your starting remicade. I've heard great things.
Try and take it a day at a time.

Sending you my support and hope you get remission soon. Hang in there.

David

Co-Founder
Welcome to the community!

Wow, you've had quite the journey. My heart goes out to you.

Please keep us updated as to how you're doing and let us know if there's anything we can do for you.

Thank you everyone. I am looking forward to going and getting the first remicade infusion tomorrow. Does anyone have an idea of how long it takes before you start seeing the benefits of it? I remember with Imuran it took several months.