• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Story...

Hi there I've visited this page many times and have finally decided to join.

It's so good to hear other peoples stories and know that I'm not alone in dealing with this horrible disease.

I was diagnosed with Crohns in 2007 and have since had 4 flare ups - no surgery as yet thank God. Usually a few days of Hydrocortisone does the trick and then I'm in remission. However, this time is different. I've been going through a flare up since early October, went to hospital for treatment and still no luck. Now mid December and symptoms are still exactly the same, waking up at night several times to go, and mornings - mornings are the worst!!!

I get severe pain in my legs (mainly calf muscles and ankles) after each bathroom visit and it takes some time for the pain to subside.

I also have a 2 year old daughter and I work full time - so needless to say, life is quite a struggle at the moment.

I am currently on Imuran 100mg daily and weaning of cortisone tablets. I have tried Humira in my last flare up which worked really well but my doctor wont go down this path again for me as he says my symptoms are not considered severe enough :(

So all I'm doing at the moment is riding it out...but gosh it's taking ages.

Anyway I don't have any questions, just wanted to join to get some insight as to what else people are experiencing and to know that I'm not alone.

dave13

Forum Monitor
Welcome

You definitely are not alone.Sorry to hear your doctor does not consider your case 'serious' enough.

We are all different with our own stories and that is a great asset to the forum concept.In my opinion,that is.There is definitely lots to check out here.Good luck!

Hi,

Regarding your doctor's strategy - while it is a legitimic approach, it's not exclusive. What I am trying to say is that if you feel that it is the right thing for you to be on biologics, you might consider changing doctors. I believe that a pro-active GI will even encourage you staying on your meds, especially if it looks like it keeps you in remission.

The modern protocol of Crohns treatment is not only based on symptoms and their severity. It is much up to getting mucosal healing and clinical remission.

Feel well and keep posting.