• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Story

I first started to experience abdominal pain when I was thirteen years old (I am now 18). The pain was unexplainable and easily the worst feeling I have ever experienced. I started to develop anxiety at the same time and would suffer from panic attacks so when I went to the doctor's about the stomach pains she told me it was "just my anxiety" and it was all part of my panic attacks:eek:. I went years believing that whenever I was having an episode it was a panic attack.
This probably sounds very strange but I didn't have any of the more obvious symptoms of crohn's other than the pain; I had never experienced blood, mucus or fits of diarrhea, in fact during my flare ups I get constipated. Still I could tell that something wasn't quite right, my stomach would make astonishingly loud noises and would bloat to an unbelievable size. I saw a couple different doctors over the years none of which gave me any answers until last summer.
The pain was getting worse I would have episodes almost every night, I couldn't sleep from the pain and I could barely eat anything. I started to have an on and off fever and would vomit when the pain got really bad. Finally I decided to go to the ER. I was expecting them to wave it off like the other doctors but they did the exact opposite. I was immediately hooked up to an IV and had multiple X-rays, CT scans and blood tests. They told me I had an infection in my intestine and had to admitted. I spent a week on intravenous antibiotics but wasn't getting any better so the doctors decided to operate:(.
They went in not knowing what to expect they told my parents the surgery would be small and take around two hours - it ended up being close to six. When I woke up I was told right away that it was crohn's; they took out seven inches of my small intestine.
Now months after surgery I am supposed to be in remission but I am finding that the symptoms are coming back very quickly. My stomach is making loud noises again, I am experiencing low to moderate pain and the fatigue is awful. I am finding out tomorrow if my doctor thinks medication is right for me and I'm a little frightened by the idea:confused2:, anyway I am hoping that some of you may relate to my story and have advice advice for me since my crohn's is in a rare place.

Sorry it took so long and such a drastic situation for you to realize you had Crohns and it wasn't all just your anxiety. I have to say, I think the opposite is true: the Crohns can cause the anxiety!
I relate to your story. I too have no bouts of mucus, diarrhea etc. My Crohns is mostly the stricturing kind, sounds like yours might be too. I also had a resection and it helped the acute pain and really severe symptoms, but it didn't relieve everything. I continue to take meds to help decreased inflammation and symptoms, which is really important to prevent or at least put off need for another surgery as long as possible (not to mention improving my day to day quality of life)
What meds are you currently taking.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello hun

Your situation actually sounds fairly similar to mine. My first symptom was pain and that was my main symptom for quite some time and I was palmed off until eventually being diagnosed. I then had surgery a few months later but it didn't take me that long to relapse.

I know the medications can seem daunting, but many people here take them with good success. Have a look through the treatment section and get familiar with your options.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to let us know, there is no such thing as a silly question and everyone here understands what it is like to be in this situation.

Currently I am on immunosuppressants after trying pentasa (a drug that reduces inflammation) .

If you would like a more private chat you are very welcome to inbox me.

If you look under my name there is a list of support groups. Included in that list is the young adult support group, which you might find helpful.

I am glad you have found us and I hope that we can help you to get through this.