• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease at the age of 22, and since then I've had seven colonoscopies and I've been on every medication imaginable. I've been on an experimental medication, that the doctors thought may have given me the JC virus. After several neurological evaluations and a spinal tap I was given the good news that I did not have the JC virus. It was at this point that I knew I needed to do something. I have always tried to eat healthy and exercise but at times it was impossible. Needing to switch to a gluten free diet is not only the biggest lifestyle change one can make but a very costly one as well. I am extremely passionate about cooking and through research I discovered thespecific carbohydrate diet, that is explained in the vicious cycle. Crohn's disease has not only impacted my health, what is the main reason my past relationship failed. I've just recently began dating again, and a woman I am dating is extremely supportive and loving. She took it upon herself to learn as much about Crohn's disease as possible, and she challenges me on a daily basis. Through this blog I will discuss and help people understand how simple and easy it is to convert recipes to gluten free on a budget. My main passion in life is helping others. someday I hope to run a successful food company that is not only nutritious but on par with gluten filled foods cost.

Hi, and welcome to the boards!

Through my illness I discovered a passion for health and fitness. I've achieved remission now, no medications, just natural supplements and trying to stick to a good diet. I believe in a whole foods approach overall, because I believe in bio-individuality. What works for one, might not work for another. The great thing about a whole foods approach is that it can be easily adapted to bio-individual needs. I do think gluten free is a good thing for everyone to try, though. It is hard to stick to, and can be costly (but I've worked around that). The biggest challenge is the change in habit, in my opinion. But that's the case with any lifestyle change. So one motto I incorporate into my training is, "moderation, not deprivation". It's ok to have something special once in while. Deprivation only leads to rebellion. Little changes, though, will slowly, but surely, add up and stick to form a good, overall change in lifestyle and health.

What she ^ said!

Glad you were able to turn the bad into good. You should check out Shakeology, it's been good to me. Good luck :)

I was reading on the National Center for Biotechnology Information, that patients with Crohns have a higher intolerance to the yeast, not as much to the actual gluten's. We just started the Fodmap, and the costly issue really is revamping your cupboards, and re stocking. However, if it might help it is worth the try. Our hope is when we reintroduce each item we can find what works and what does not.
Dear Crohns Sufferer, I can't help noticing that your note reads as very sad and frustrated about your failed relationship.. love yourself, the right frame of mind is key to any health issue and I wish you well.....I managed a very successful specialty food company that was sold the Heinz ...(someone else owned it so no $$ there, hahaha) It is easier than one might think....Make it happen