• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Story...

I was 30 when I started to feel sick and went to the doctor at the college I was attending and she told me I had IBS. I tried everything she suggested and I only felt worse. She sent me to a GI and he told me to load up on fiber and sent me on my way...I felt worse. I went to another GP and she told me it was IBS but sent me to a different GI and he examined me and ordered x rays and blood tests and a barium enema (fun that was!) and the results were all negative. I got worse and worse. Went back to the GP and this time she sent me to number 3 GI and he finally ordered the upper GI series which showed I had Crohns. For two years I had been suffering with the worst burning diareeha and pain and fatigue and I had lost almost 40 lbs by this point. They put me on prednisone and I immediately perked up - that worked until they tried to wean me off it and all the symptoms came back - Surgery was my next option - they removed 18 inches of disease in my small intestine - where the small bowel joins the large - most commom site for Crohns they tell me. Felt mildly better - fatigue was better but I still had terrible burning diareeha all the time - Still symptomatic but struggled through life - I would flare up, then down, then up - never really achieving a long remission - I now have 5 to 6 inches of new disease that the Remicade keeps mostly in check but now have terrible joint pain to the point of incapacitation - my GI wants to try Cimzia now - waiting until October 6th to give that a shot...been hell having this disease - changed my whole life as I am sure it has changed everyone's on this site. I lost three jobs, my schooling, a fiance, all my life savings and a wee bit of my sanity I am sure...I would like to go back to those doctors who kept telling me I had IBS and leave them a nice diahreea pipebomb on their desks lol- one had the nerve to suggest a psychiatrist - I kept saying "no, it is not in my head - it is in my gut!" Oh well, I keep keeping on as they say - what choice do we have?!

J

JillianB82

Carolyn,

You story sounds like many of ours on here. It seems like we are just passed from Dr to Dr until someone gets it right. :)

Sorry to hear about the horrible D, but I hope it passes soon!!!

Hahahaha a d pipebomb.....LOVE IT!!