• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story

I feel like I should introduce myself to the community. My name is Sophie, I'm 17 and have Crohn's disease.

I was diagnosed with Crohn's under the age of 1 and had one explorative surgery around that age, to see what was going on and had and ovary and a lymph node removed. I was on a lot of medication, namely steroids and azathioprine, which I was able to cut out at the age of 12 because I had been in remission and all tests came back clear.

Fast forward 4 years, I started experiencing lower back and hip pain. I thought little of it, but it was persistent. I also experienced multiple UTIs in a row and on top of that diarrhoea. I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy which ended up showing inflammation in my duodenum and terminal ileum as well as chronic inflammation in most other places in the GI tract (that the scopes could see, the MRI I had came back clear). I took a course of steroids for 9 weeks which helped with my pains, but after coming off them, my Crohn's hit back with a vengeance and was worse than ever.

I'm now on a course of steroids again, with azathioprine and other concoctions to prevent acid reflux.

Apart from that, I'm living a full life and aspire to be a doctor in the near future!

cmack

Staff member
Welcome Sophie,

Thanks for joining us. A medical student or doctor in our midst would never hurt. I wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors!

Best regards,

cmack

Welcome Sophie! Great to hear what a positive attitude you have! Hopefully you and your medical team can get medication sorted out that works best for you and you can fullfill you dreams! Always great to have doctors that have chronic diseases (although I would never wish this on someone) because they truly understand what the struggle is like.

Best of luck and keep us updated on your progress.