• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Story

Hello, my name is Jay and I'm 23 years old. Biologically I'm female, though I identify as nonbinary.
In December of 2016 I was diagnosed with Crohn's, though every since my late teens I've experienced digestive issues. When I was 18 my doctor diagnosed me with IBS. I changed my diet to accommodate this and though I experienced a slight improvement my general pain continued to increase. I thought that that was simply just part of having IBS and didn't think much more about it. I also experienced gradual weight gain, reaching my max of 180 (I'm 5'6") in December of 2015. February rolled around and the pain had become so bad that my once ravinous appetite began diminishing and I started losing weight rapidly (20lbs in under two months). The only time I was able to so much as stomach food was when I smoked marijuana and so I began self-medicating.
I knew, deep down, something more was wrong. It didn't seem right that I was losing so much weight, experiencing so much pain, and stopped feeling hunger naturally. No one thought anything was wrong with me and then December rolled around and I experienced the worst pain up until that point. It was so terrible that my boyfriend insisted I go to the ER in fear that it was my appendix.
It was there (after many gruelling hours) that the doctor told me everything looked fine save for my intestines, which were terrible inflamed. I was advised to see my doctor and get tested for Crohn's.
After getting on antinflamatory painkillers my weight seemed to even out, though my appetite never returned (I just kept using marijuana). I wasn't able to refill my script due to chronic depression, pain, and unreliable means of transportation. I thought I was doing fine, despite all the "congratulations"on my weight loss, until maybe about a week ago when I finished my shower. I was stretching out my shoulder when I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and became horrified. My ribs and hips were becoming defined and I noticed that I looked sickly pale with prominent dark circles under my eyes.
My boyfriend insists that I'm okay, that I haven't lost THAT much weight. I honestly feel like I'm dying (though I know I'm probably not lol) and I'm worried about this rapid weight loss. I'm actually afraid to weigh myself.
Thank you for reading. Hopefully this is the right thread to post this kind of thing.
Jay

Welcome! Are you currently taking any medications for the CD? Have you been to a GI?
I'm not currently taking any medications. I was taking a Codeine based Tylenol but I ran out and I haven't been able to see a GI. I've been pressing my boyfriend to help me get there but I don't know that he realizes how serious it is.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Sometimes when you see a person every day, they and you don't realize what changes are taking place. One way to help your boyfriend see the changes is to look at a picture of you from a month or two ago (if you have any) and that should show a much better difference in how you look.

As for medications, you really need to go see a GI, even if you have to arrange for a taxi - your boyfriend, if he really cares about you (not saying he doesn't) should want to support you during this time.

Codeine and tylenol is not a good 'treatment' - it is a stop-gap measure to help with pain, not to treat the underlying reason for the pain.

You have come to a great place to get on-line support and help, please let us know how you are doing, and ask away if you have questions!