• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My success with LDN

I started suffering from Ulcerative Colitis after I had surgery for Hemorrhoids about two years ago and my own assessment is that the stress from the surgery triggered my body to develop Ulcerative Colitis. Ulcerative Colitis is an autoimmune disease where one develops bleeding ulcers in the colon and gradually develop symptoms of fever, weakness, anemia due to the blood loss and weight loss . I couldn't function normally since i had to rush to the washroom over 15 times daily. So life was depressing and was stuck at home most of the time and was not able to do my business that i had just started. I ended up in the hospital where they referred me to a gastroenterologist who confirmed that i had Ulcerative Colitis. I started seeing a well known Gastroenterologist who put me on a conventional therapy of Melasalzaine, Initially my bowel movements became more manageable and i started to feel better for about three months but then I started to suffer from the side effects of the nausea, headaches which gradually subsided. As my body developed a resistance to the drug The doctor increased my dosage of Melasalzaine with time it helped me for the treatment and my symptoms improved but it could not control the bleeding so finally the doctor put me on Prednesone steroid it help subside the bleeding but again this comes at a price and steroids have sever side effects. I put on about 10 kg in weight I suffered from Nausea, headaches and developed rashes all over my body. Gradually the medication became ineffective So the doctor decided to put me on stronger medication azathioprine (it is given to transplant patients to prevent organ rejection) I took that medication for appropriately for about 1.5 months but my rash went out of control and Nausea the medication was so strong that i could not taste food anymore everything tasted metallic that indicated that my liver and kidney were being effected so i decided to discontinue the Azathioprine. By now 1.5 years had elapsed i became increasingly weaker and could hardly walk. My blood loss continued to the point where my hemoglobin went down to 7.6 (pre surgery it was 15) I had to go and get a transfusion of 2 pints of blood. I felt better immediately after the transfusion but due to bad luck got an infection somehow through the transfusion so had to take an extremely strong antibiotic for 10 days. Finally upon recovery from the infection My symptoms of the Ulcerative colitis were still not under control and the bleeding started again my doctor was increasingly frustrated because nothing was working for me. So finally my doctor recommended that I should have my colon removed. (The idea being that if i were to remove my colon they would remove the area with ulcerations). I thought about it and just didn't agree that at the age of 41 to have the colon removed means that surely other complications can arise and surely I researched and found that indeed that there are possible complications that can happen from the surgery and it is not a 100 percent cure. I told the doctor that i don't want to go through another surgery knowing that my first surgery was responsible for the trigger of ulcerative colitis. So my doctor practically gave up and told me to continue with the medication I was taking and to manage.
Being an enthusiast on herbalism I started my own research on my condition and started reading various blogs and websites. I came upon a website which mentioned Low dose Naltrexone therapy briefly. So decided to research it further on a number of blogs. After reading the stories patients with ulcerative colitis and the results that they were able to achieve I decided to go and talk to my doctor about it. Being a conventional doctor he asked me to provide documentation on Naltrexone and after a review of it he refused to give me the prescription for it when i asked him why he did not give me a reason but just told me that i could not benefit from it. I did not give up and decided to go and see a medical professor through a reference his specialty was to remove colons and doing Jpouch surgery. After showing him the documents and a detailed discussion on my condition he agreed to write me a prescription for the LDN. The doctor told me that it may be worth a try and worse comes to worse due to the low dose it cannot harm me. So armed with the prescription I went to the largest pharmacy in the city of Karachi looking for them to dispense the 4.5 mg dose of Naltrexone. To my surprise i they couldn't understand the concept and told me that they could not make it for me. After a long exhaustive search i found a pharmacist who agreed to make it for me. I went and purchased the 50 mg tablets of Naltrexone and gave them to the pharmacist to grind and portion the medicine in to 4.5 mg. ( Please note that they should only use normal naltrexone and not the slow release type) I started to take the medication in Early august at that time I was on 4grams of Melaselzaine and iron supplement my ulcerations were bleeding intermittently with 4-5 washroom visits a day. After I started taking the Naltrexone i immediately felt the endorphin rush. Initially i was taking my daily dose around 9pm the drawback to that was that it started causing disturbances in my sleep pattern. After taking Naltrexone for ten days i noticed that my bleeding was much reduced and my washrooms visits were more regular. To remedy the disturbed sleep I started taking the dose in the morning after breakfast. With continued use i found an improvement in my symptoms and finally after six weeks i felt well enough that i decided to quit taking my Melaselzaine ( a drug i had been taking regularly) It has now been almost 2.5 months my bleeding has stopped and washroom visits 1-2 times a day. I feel stronger daily and my life is back to normal i do have remnants of the side effects of the earlier medications but I am feeling stronger on a daily basis. I have also found that if i take Naltrexone at approximately midnight my sleep is better and not disturbed. Naltrexone has been an amazing drug for me it has allowed me to start living my life again. Conventional doctors know very little about it and are generally reluctant to prescribe it.

So i do urge you to do your own research and find a physician that will prescribe it to you give it a try worse scenario it will not have any effect and best case is that it will regularize your thyroid issue Please let me know if i can help anyone further in any way. I can be reached at +6584294722 or Skype osamamustafa71.