• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My successes after going to he'll and back

Well here goes hope everyone has time to read this it is quiet long lol....

So I was pregnant when I became ill I remember I'd just put the kids to bed and got outta the bath next I knew I'd collapsed onto the bed screaming I thought I was having a miscarriage, my husband rang for an ambulance I couldn't stand up couldn't walk couldn't even get up straight paramedics rushed me to A and E where they gave me an ultrasound scan baby was fine they kept me in as I needed morphine for pain I stayed on maternity ward for few days then went home by this time I couldn't hardly walk still so,anyway went home couldn't get up the stairs so stayed on the sofa couldn't walk to go,for a wee and had to do it on a potty :redface: by next morning i couldn't raise my legs so back to the hospital I went this time they took me to hdu imstayedmthere a while whilst everyday i had internal examinations to see if it was labour doctor came to me later and said I had peritinitos and I needed surgery but baby would be fine so had that done then a few days later I went worse the hospital I was in basically shit themselves they'd made a mistake and sent me to another hospital in a different town 30 miles from home when I got there I was instantly prepped for theatre where my son would be born 12 weeks early.
Next I knew I woke up in intensive care in agony on life support I had a open wound which covered my entire stomach and a bag "that I would use to poo in" nothing registered at the time as I was heavily sedated on more pain relief than I ever though possible for one person to be on I was moved to Hdu a few days later then a few more days I was took to a proper ward that's when depression set in I was only 25 and I had already had 3 children never had a stretch mark or anything I would sit and cry all day n Nyt sometimes after many many weeks I was told I could go home on the condition I did nothing but watch my son was transferred to the local hospital at home and came home just before his due date in march .
I suffered the most excruciating pain I'd have rather gone through labour 12 times over without pain relief to what I was feeling and it was all in my stoma anyway I went to see my surgeon months on and he told me he wanted get ball rollin for reversal but first I needed a barium enima to make sure there were no pin prick holes in the bowel I went for this then was due to see surgeon again in 8 weeks time I went to that appointment for him to say you have Crohn's disease we can't reverse you at least not yet until its controlled I was devastated and carried on in and out of hospital with pain in the stoma site and all I kept sayin was do the reversal and il be fine but would they listen ....... Nope.
Anyway I got my date through just before Christmas 2011 for may 2012 I gave up smoking for it as surgeon said the plastic surgery I needed to reconstruct the abdo walls wouldn't take if I smoked 5 weeks before I went in on 21 st may 2012 for the procedure and woke up reversed as well as a normal lookin stomach bait swollen and no belly button but from what it was like before this looked as good as normal I was on morphine for few days and went home within 2 weeks again on the condition I didn't do a thing to ruin my new stomach and since all this I have managed to stay well clear of hospital a other than appointments of course lol not a pain nothing the only thing now is when my hubby triesto rub my belly it make me feel sick as its so sensitive.

This is MY story it took a while and it DID drag but I got there patience is everything and staying strong and positive too having good family and friends around to pick you up and tell you keep positive is everything too without them I wouldn't have got this far my boy is 2 now he is gorgeous healthy and no one would think he was only 2 lb born.
Thank you for reading and I hope everyone else has a success story of there own it always makes it worth while in the end xx good luck to u all and god bless

afidz

Super Moderator
Hello,
You really went through a lot! I am glad you came in chat, its good to know that I am not alone, reading how you managed after reconstruction really puts my mind at ease. I have had 14 surgeries on my abdomen, so I am no stranger to that pain, I am scared that the pain from the next surgery is going to be unbearable. You said you were in the hospital for 2 weeks after reconstruction? How long did it take you to return to normal activity?

I was home 2 days and I couldn't sit around any longer so I got on with light tasks as simple as standing at the sink washing a few dishes getting my kids dressed you no just little things but properly it was like 6 weeks I had a under garment to wear over my stomach to protect it just like a big tight elasticicated belt to hold the muscle in seriously Hun u don't have to worry you'll be fine keep positive dont go to theatre on a negative vibe it's a step closer in the right direction when are you due to have the reconstructive surgery?

afidz

Super Moderator
its scheduled right now for March 25th, but it keeps on changing. I have to have two different surgeons, they don't work in the same practice so getting their schedules together is complicated. I wear the abdominal binder now, 2 of them actually to try and contain the hernias I have now, but it hurts too much to wear nowadays.

I had 2 different surgeons Hun from different hospitals my plastic surgeon came to the hospital the other surgeon was from for a whole day in theatre they were both great and worked so well together and had meetings prior to my surgery they did amazing things for me you'll be fine hdu don't worry about it