• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My thirteen year old has very swollen lips..

Hello, My 13 year old son is suffering with severely swollen lips. This has been going on for a few months now. I first thought it was his braces, the orthodontis replaced his wires with stainless steel wires, which I guess are hypoallergenic. His lips remained swollen. Plus, his ear is pierced and his ear is not red or swollen. I took him the the family doctor and he prescribed him Zyrtec and a dose of prednisone, both did not help the swelling. I then went to an Allergist and she also prescribed a round of Prednisone and ordered blood work. He had a positive ANA. (?) Prednisone was unsuccessful. Next, she prescribed a lip biopsy. We had this done by an oral surgeon and he felt it was an allergic reaction. However, the allergist does not agree with him. She says the biopsy results indicate something more. Biopsy revealed Submucosal granulomas with giant cell reaction. We now have an appointment with a pediatric gastro-interologist. She is thinking possible Crohn's disease. The only stomach symptom he has is bad gas and occasional stomach pain after eating. Does anyone have any ideas after reading his story?? Any suggestions would be so appreciated. He is very self consious and is starting to get made fun of at school. :confused2:

Welcome to the forum kristad.
Had he had any blood tests done? They would check for inflammation markers. If not the ped GI may order these and based on those possibly schedule a colonoscopy and take biopsies to look for disease activity there.
There was a thread about swollen lips and crohns. Here is a link.
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=17445
Here is another link to a wiki on orofacial granulomatosis (swollen lips and crohn's) http://www.crohnsforum.com/wiki/Orofacial-Granulomatosis
Please keep us posted on how things go.

Thank you, I will go to the links you provided. He did have blood work. According to the Allergist, the only abnormal finding was a positive ana. Thanks again.:smile: