• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Unexpected Crohn's Diagnosis

Hi everyone. I wanted to share my story and hopefully get some advice. My Crohn's journey has been rather atypical. Until recently, I never had the usual symptoms, or so I thought. I developed a blood clot (DVT) in my leg and several PE's in my lungs about a year and a half ago. I was on coumadin for a few months and I did have rectal bleeding which was most likely from a hemorrhoid or an anal fissure I had recently developed. My internist suggested I have a colonoscopy after I was off the blood thinners just to be sure. The GI doc said everything looked okay but he saw some inflammation in my TI and took biopsies. I got a call from his nurse a few weeks later saying my biopsies came back as possible early or mild Crohn's and that my doc wanted me to have a blood test (prometheus). I didn't really understand Crohn's and because my life was crazy at the time and I wasn't experiencing any symptoms, I never had the blood test or followed up with the doctor.

Fast forward to my annual physical exam this fall. I mentioned the GI results to my doctor and she said I should follow up, that it might be nothing, but she didn't seem too concerned. I had blood work done there and she found that I was anemic and severely iron deficient. She started me on iron supplements. When I went back for a follow up in February, I asked her to test my B12 and D levels since I had been eating a Vegan diet for about 6 months and I just wanted to be on the safe side. She was shocked to find my Vit D levels undetectably low but my B12 was fine. She suggested I might have an absorption issue and sent me back to the GI, and I finally went. He did an upper endocopy (which showed gastritis and esophogitis), a prometheus test, and a capsule endoscopy. I got a call from a nurse that in addition to my positive biopsy last spring, I had a positive prometheus test and that my Doctor wants to see me 4/8/13 to discuss where to go from here. I still haven't heard the results of my pillcam but will know more in April.

This has all been shocking for me because I have never had the typical symptoms but in retrospect, I believe the blood clots and anal fissure I had were related to the Crohn's and I also had an abscess on my buttocks about five years ago and had to see a colorectal surgeon to take care of that. I have had what feels like a stitch in my lower right abdomen for awhile but never knew what to make of it. Sorry for rambling but it is still a little shocking and a little overwhelming. I have no idea what to expect when I see the doctor. Will I definitely need to be on medication? Any ideas as to what I might be taking? I already eat a pretty good diet and take probiotics which I believe had kept some of the symptoms at bay. Is there anything else I should be doing? Any questions I should be asking the doctor?

Thank you all for reading and for creating such a supportive, informative community. I was such a relief to find this board.

Amy

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
Hi bookchic and welcome to the forum. I didn't have any symptoms at all until they went to take my apendix out and they found crohns so bad that they did a resection on the spot. Crohns can be nasty at times and it would be good to follow through going to the Dr. Yes, they will most likely put you on some meds and I would make sure to take them. My crohns was so bad that I went septic 7 days after they did my resetion. I have ben on meds now for a while and I'm now starting to feel better.
You will find this fourm to be very supportive, I have. I find the chatroom to be a great help.

I didnt have the typical symptoms like the bleeding, cramping etc. What too me to the doc was cronic constipation that at frist I thought was medicine related. It turns out that I had a huge mass of tissue, fistulas hooked all over the place etc. Welcome to the forum though!

Honey

Staff member
Hi Bookchick, Yes it is a shock to be diagnosed with C.D. I had digestive problems for years, not diagnosed correctly until a clever Consultant asked for a pill cam. They will work with you to find the meds that alleviate your symptoms best. In my case, meds did not work so I attend hospital for Infliximab infusions. We are all individuals with our own case histories. What suits me may not agree with you. A really caring Consultant you can keep in touch with is a must. Good luck, let me know how you are doing. I just joined recently and it is helpful when you need to talk.