• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My very First Perianal Abscess, Yay Me!

Up until last summer my Crohn's was always in my terminal ileum and the start of my colon. I've had a number of resections (starting at age 8), but always at the same spot. Last summer I had my first fistula with a lovely abscess on the end - the whole thing was poking out my side. Also, I had 75cm resected because they were literally tied up in a tight little ball. The trauma surgeon was shocked I was still alive.

Just before my post-op 'check up' colonoscopy I found a very painful lump. This past Monday I went in for my scoping. I wasn't sure I'd see Stewie (my kick ass GI) before the procedure, so I wrote a note in sharpie on my bum with an arrow to the lump. I did see him before, so he poked at it and told me it's my first perianal abscess!

He told me to soak my bum and gave me a prescription for Bactrim. He also told me to push back my Cimzia shots for a week or two, just to see if we can get it to heal up before I layer on more meds that will mess with my immune system.

So, give me the straight poop, what am I in for? What else should I be doing so I don't have to (hopefully) have this puppy drained, or otherwise abused by Dr. Stewie?

Thanks for any help! All will be greatly appreciated.

hot baths or sitting on a heating pad/hot water bottle and antibiotics are the only things I have heard of for them short of draining.

Lol, you writing on your bum really made me laugh :) pop over to our subforum. There's lots of lovely people ( like Sailorluna ) who offer advice and support. Wishing you all the best.