• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My youngests symptoms

Today I got my 3 year old to finally poop in the potty. This has been an ongoing issue with her bc she for some reason is afraid of the toilet. I have not been pressuring her to potty train as I think she too suffers from PTSD from hearing all the drama going on in the bathroom back when Rowan had UC. Well today she did it I was so proud but then I noticed... Blood. A very little amount on the poop not in the poop. She is holding her poop. I have to give her all sorts of grape juice and recently added Aloe Vera Juice to the mix. Occasionally a Glycerin Suppository. The poop actually looked old and new some of it was one color light brown and the other side was very dark, almost black. First time I ever saw this with her it actually was like a cow. Weird. Anywho I know the black could be old blood it also can mean it is old hardened stool, which is what I think it was. I also know it could be a fissure.

So Of course my PTSD is in full effect. Trying to not over-react. I added a fish oil pill today. I am working on training her to swallow pills she did well and got the pill swallowed. She wants to be like her sister so much. Regardless of what is going on right now I can't get into a GI for sometime I am sure I will have to see the Ped first.

What test would you ask to be ran with the Ped? I never really had to do all the testing with Rowan bc it was always very obvious by the blood pouring out of her that she was in a huge flare the whole time she had it.

Is there any supplements I can introduce to her pre-doctor visit beyond Vit D3, Aloe Vera Juice, Fish Oil that help with inflammation?

Last edited:
Having some issues with my youngest too, for her it's mouth ulcers.

Our pediatrician recommended a fecal cal test. For Johnny his sed rate and CRP were normal 6 months before diagnosis and he had already been losing weight for about a year and a half. So blood work didn't do any good. Monitoring her weight and height as well. Other than that I don't know that they can do anything if the symptoms are subtle. I doubt they would do a scope at this point unless things got worse.

I am with you on the worrying, I feel totally traumatized that this could all be starting again.

((((((Hugs)))))

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
Mary, I can see why you'd be concerned. I hope it is just a matter of fecal retention and that it clears up when she becomes more regular. One of my kids had constipation issues related to gluten. You may try a trial without gluten to see if that will help...

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Aww Mary, I'm sure your post reads much calmer than you feel about that. I know you must be feeling broken to see that. Hoping and praying it's nothing more than normal constipation! Bless her and you!!

Oh gosh do you know how many times I have switch back and forth between GF and not in the last year? It was a lot. Not that I can't do it bc I know a lot of recipes but when I did it with Rowan it made her constipated. So now two kids two different diets? Their diets are different already but now I have to try to keep it all straight. The hardest part right now is I try to thicken or loosen Rowans stools and Livana only wants what her sister is having so... I think this might be part of my issue but I do try to work more fibers into Livana's Diet.

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
Sigh. How confusing. I've been keeping a diary of Jae's diet and symptoms. Easy enough on EEN, but I've only got one child with symptoms and she's not eating :). I totally feel for you. When we discovered the gluten connection, Jae and I were getting diarrhea from it and Ciara was getting constipated... go figure. Later my 3rd daughter got belly aches from it... Thankfully the GF diet never caused adverse effects to anyone except our pocketbook!

I am so sorry to hear this and so understand what you are going through. My littlest has had very similar issues. The GI saw her and all her tests are normal she still has blood in her stool on and off. The doctor and I discussed scoping her but we agreed to wait for now and see how she does. She has actually been doing better with the constipation. Also it seems the blood has been less often. The doctor told us to give her miralax daily for the constipation and it really helped. What has the doctor recommended for the constipation?

(((hugs))) I'm sorry, this must be so scary. Talk to her doctor. Hopefully the blood is just because she is holding it in, and nothing to worry about.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Oh Mary!...:ghug:

I surely understand your fears and uncertainties. I agree with running the standard blood inflammatory markers and also faecal calprotectin. Those with the stock standard baseline bloods would be a good start.

I also hear you about wanting to start doing something to treat the inflammation now but at the same time I would be wary of intervening too much lest it mask evidence.

Wishing you all the luck in the world Mary that your little one's problems are just that...little. :heart:

Dusty. xxx

Thanks everyone. I had left over Miralax from when Rowan needed it I start giving her the dose I had given Rowan when this started with her at the same age. Livana's bm's tend to be very large so I have been trying to do it naturally but to no avail. Hoping the miralax soften thing up for her until I can get into the Doctor tomorrow or Tuesday. My parents just left for Arizona for a Month or more, so Rowan is going to have to come with me to the appointment. Maybe it is a good thing that she can help her sister with coping for the blood draw.

Question the fecal calprotectin test, now does this test require a specific tube/container or can I just collect it in an old pill bottle and take it with me? Luckily she poops into the little trainer potty chair so no hat needed.

Regardless I am going to continue to give her the fish oil bc it is a softener as well. Training her to take pills is such a process so hopefully we keep it going. It has been a while since I have had to have inflammatory marker tests. This is the CBC, ESR, and CRP correct? I know her Ped will run any test I ask for so just want to get all of them done together to avoid more drama. Is there anything I am missing with the blood draw?

Gosh I know this could be nothing. But I cannot help but think omg is it IBD??? I always said if I had to do it all over again would I do things differently. I really hope I don't get to put that thought into action. Yes I would do things differently! The bottom up vs the top down approach is totally haunting me at this point. Trying to not cross any bridges but my mind wanders and I cannot help but fear the worst.

She won't use the large toilet bc she thinks the toilet hurts you in someway or give you UC. I imagine what her mind thinks of... like does she think there is a monster in the toilet that grabs your butt and hurts you. So scary for her, and all she has witnessed!

Johnny's Protein level was low before he was diagnosed. The doctor said it was "protein-losing enteropathy". Albumin or Total protein level is how it is listed on our Lab reports.

You could also do a vitamin D level.

A Differential is always run for Johnny too. I know this is more for the effects of the immune suppressants on his body but it also give an indication of infection.

When you said you would change things as far as bottom up vs the top down approach this time what do you mean?

The fecal cal is pretty simple collection. They do give us the hat, and then just a normal sample jar contains maybe a quarter cup of stool. They do want you to refrigerate it if you aren't bringing it right in right away.

Hope those labs go well. ((((Hugs)))))

Mary, I have a really good recipe for bran muffins if you would like it. When my son was young he had severe constipation. It was so bad that he was on mineral oil daily just so he would go. It was so bad though, that when he would pass gas he would leave an oil slick in whatever he was wearing. A friend gave me the recipe and swore it would have him pooping in no time and it did! I've given the recipe to a few people who have kids with constipation problems and they have all said it was a life saver. I add choc chips (not a whole lot, just enough to make them taste like choc chip muffins) and my kids have all requested them at times if they have had any kind of constipation. They ask me to make them on a regular basis, just to eat! The added bonus is that it keeps them regular.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I am not familiar with the names of the blood tests there but I would get:

FBC (Full Blood Count) - It covers all the haematology, so red and white cells. (?CBC in the US)

LFT's (Liver Function Tests) (?Metabolic Panel, something like that in the US. It should also include the UEC's)

UEC's (Electrolytes, Urea, Creatinine) - Covers chemistry and kidney function.

The above tests should be baseline bloods.

Then add:

Iron Studies

ESR & CRP - Blood inflammatory markers.

Faecal Calprotectin/lactoferrin

You may also want to add vitamin/minerals:

B12

Vit D

Magnesium

Zinc

Dusty. :)

If she's been constipated and having large BM's, could the blood just be from a fissure or small tear from the large BM's coming through? There would probably be some minor pain involved and maybe that's what makes the toilet scary? Has she ever said anything hurts?

Just a thought... I'm really hoping this is minor or treatable.

2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 cups or 1 sm box of All bran cereal
2 cups milk
1/2 cup veg oil
2 eggs
I add 1 bag or about 1 cup choc chips

Mix together and bake at 350 for 16-20 min depending on over
Makes 24 muffins

Let me know if you try them. You could prob tweak it a bit to make it healthier, but they are awesome and the kids love them. I usually make 2 batches and freeze atleast a batch. They can take one out of the freezer and throw it in with lunch, or you can microwave them and they taste like they were just baked. Now I am going to have to make a batch! lol I have a friend who throws in raisins or nuts as well.

If she's been constipated and having large BM's, could the blood just be from a fissure or small tear from the large BM's coming through? There would probably be some minor pain involved and maybe that's what makes the toilet scary? Has she ever said anything hurts?

Just a thought... I'm really hoping this is minor or treatable.
Very possible, she has told me her poop hurt in the past that is usually when I give the glycerine suppositories and they do a good job. But I can't keep this going on. She now and again says her belly hurts but sometimes I think she is trying to be like her big sister. Last night for example she wanted a rice bag for her tummy bc Rowan had one for her tummy. Some of it could be her acting sick because she is looking for attention and sometimes I think it is real. It is really hard to judge and tell the difference.

my little penguin

Staff member
I can tell you we went through the IBD "scare" with my other child.
blood work and scope - nothing to be seen.
He does need prevacid otherwise he has issues.
He has had blood once since the scope.
HE is followed by the GI and he does have the odd stomach/diarrhea/cramping etc...
So far we are just watching/monitoring closely since Ds did not present classically.

Never easy.

Well we have been up and down and up with this and my daughter. They never did any blood work and said it was a very huge possibility that she has been holding due to PTSD from Rowan's disease. So we tried Miralax and we just couldn't get it right either too soft or not enough. I hated that stuff with Rowan as well. So then we tied MOM which worked but who wants to do that long term. I tried the cupcakes and it worked for softening things up but now I finally think I found the right medium. I make mini cupcakes I make a boxed variety using applesauce. I used 1.5 cups of All bran but I blended it to powder. Rowan's cupcakes are choc w choc icing and Livs are Choc with vanilla. So I don't screw up and give Rowan high fiber. Seems to be working and I can give one or two as needed. So it works out for all of us. They think I am a super mom now.

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
Well we have been up and down and up with this and my daughter. They never did any blood work and said it was a very huge possibility that she has been holding due to PTSD from Rowan's disease. So we tried Miralax and we just couldn't get it right either too soft or not enough. I hated that stuff with Rowan as well. So then we tied MOM which worked but who wants to do that long term. I tried the cupcakes and it worked for softening things up but now I finally think I found the right medium. I make mini cupcakes I make a boxed variety using applesauce. I used 1.5 cups of All bran but I blended it to powder. Rowan's cupcakes are choc w choc icing and Livs are Choc with vanilla. So I don't screw up and give Rowan high fiber. Seems to be working and I can give one or two as needed. So it works out for all of us. They think I am a super mom now.
Yes, I agree. You've definitely made SuperMom status! Way to go!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I don't think you are super mum Mary, you are ARE a super mum!

Kudos to you and well done! :award2:

Dusty. :)