• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mystery Rash

R

rebecca83

HI! I am sorry if I am writing this in the wrong section...I have just joined the forum (I do not even have my photo uploaded yet!)

I am at my wits end and am hoping that someone out there can shed some light on my situation...no doctor thus far has been able to help! I have a horrible itch that sometimes manifests as a rash of tiny red or white bumps and sometimes as nothing visible at all. It is covering my entire body except for my face. It has been annoying me since August and no relief is in sight. I have tried many ointments, had all sorts of blood tests....and the doctors still have no idea what it is or how to treat it.
Meds I am on: Humira, Lialda, Entocort. I have tried going off the meds but it did not seem to make a difference. Perhaps I have not waited long enough. Liver and other bloods came back okay. Very anemic, but I cannot believe that could cause this much of a problem. Has anyone had a similar experience? I am desperate!!!

Your rash may be caused by the medicines you are taking. Just by looking at some side effects on the interwebs I found that Humira and Lialda can produce a rash and maybe the combination is giving you this type of of rash.

Have you changed where you lived or anything when you started getting these symptoms because it seems like it could be an allergic reaction. I hope you get relief soon. You may want to try an allergy doctor forgot what they are called though.

Best of luck

Kev

Hi Rebecca. Welcome to the forum. And no, you aren't writing it in a wrong spot. What better place can there be but the forum, both for introductions, questions... or to just vent, advise, play games, whatever. We are just like you, fellow sufferers who share our stories, hopes and dreams.., and try to make each others lives just a little better. OK, long winded hello over... I had a rash develop after taking Imuran/azathioprine. It also came with severe pain
I stopped taking Imuran, the pain went away within 2 days... but the rash stayed with me for months. Docs thought it was foliculitis (sp?) inflamation of hair folicules. I also developed an itch, but separate from the Imuran reaction.
It was nitemarish... never had an itch like it before, from my toes to my thighs.
Anyway, they think it was due to pred withdrawal... since I started taking LDN the itch went away. It has popped up occasionally, but those are few and far between. Does any of the info or websites for your meds mention itch as side effect? That's where I would look first. If any do, bring that info to your doc, and see which med you may want to experiment with by removing, and for how long. Experimenting with withdrawing/tapering off meds is not something to do without consulting your doctor. And, it may not be meds that is causing the itch

Anyway, sorry I can't pinpoint what's going on. I commisserate, annoying itch is so aggravating AND frustrating all at the same time. Drives any person crazy.