• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Narrow Miss

Friday night I had an attack from Crohns. Waves of pain growing in intensity in the upper abdomen. The pain got so intense and I was getting dehydrated so I went to the ER.

They gave me a painkiller IV that eased the pain. Cat scan showed a partial blockage, they said this type usually clears up on its own. It didn't need surgery so I was given the option to go home on a liquid diet or be admitted. I chose the latter because I live alone and wanted to be close to help if the pain returned.

I was under observation and on an IV that hydrated me and put a little sugar in my system. Saturday I was on liquid diet and managed a BM. Sunday they lowered the dosage of the IV (I was urinating every two hours!!!) and move to a regular diet with solids. Two more BMs and intestinal gas working through the plumbing - good signs.

The pain never came back and they let me go home monday (but no work, dr ordered full day of rest). No surgery, no new drugs, no diet restrictions, no pain, and my plumbing is definitely back to normal.

There is definitely something to "stitch in time saves nine"

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Sorry you had to go through that The Real MC. I did that in June last year as well but did need IV steroids to help clear the way. Did your GI mention anything about adjusting your current meds to help prevent that from happening again (or are you dealing with scar tissue only)? Hope it doesn't happen again and glad you didn't need surgery. :)

Thanks for sharing. I fear I am getting a blockage. Having more and more abdominal pain, expecially after I eat and it's all feeling very weird. Not like any previous attacks.

Interesting to hear how it got sorted for you

Good to hear it worked out well and quickly. I seem to be having a similar experience at the moment, except I haven't hit the ER. I took some Percocet on Sunday when I was having severe pain, but it mostly subsided by very early Monday morning. At the moment I'm debating trying to go to work today (Tuesday) or take one more day for rest and recuperation.

Sorry you had to go through that The Real MC. I did that in June last year as well but did need IV steroids to help clear the way. Did your GI mention anything about adjusting your current meds to help prevent that from happening again (or are you dealing with scar tissue only)? Hope it doesn't happen again and glad you didn't need surgery. :)
I didn't need any steroids and there were no adjustments to my current meds.

Unfortunately this won't be the last time I have an attack like this, but I am learning to seek medical help sooner.