• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Nasal congestion and pain???

I have been having a hard time these past few months. This may or may not have anything to do with my gut issues but just wanted to know if anyone else has had anything similar happen to them.

We are actually in the midst of selling our home, we are moving. Things have been busy around here for the last couple months. About almost four weeks ago I started having nasal stuffiness and irritation. It started kind of out of nowhere but there were a few things that may have kicked it off. About a month and half ago I did hurt my back moving something( I pulled a muscle in my lower back). Well my back was starting to feel better finally but I tripped and jarred my back again. It hurt so bad I laid down and started crying. Well I cried for a few minutes and put a heating pad on my back and it started feeling better again. Well at that time my nose was a little runny and stuffy because I just cried which is normal. It usually will go away in a half hour or so. Anyhow, after the crying spell I got up and went down stairs and just swept the basement apartment floor( we have a two flat and are selling and downsizing to a smaller home) and cleaned the kitchen sink. I went to store and noticed my nose was feeling a little stuffy and irritated. Not horrible, but definitely not right. I did not think much of it. I got home and my husband had just finished cleaning a huge area rug we had with resolve carpet cleaning spray. The house smelled like perfume because of it. I stayed out of that room where there rug was. The next day I had my hubby take the rug out because the smell was so strong and my nose was already irritated. That next morning I did have a period where my right side of my nasal passage was running a little, but only for a few minutes and it stopped. This definitely was not like a cold or any virus. We also had work done a couple weeks prior to this congestion starting( had a small area of wood stained ( I was not in immediate contact though, my husband did the work and it was well ventilated). We also had our laundry room floor re-tiled, but again, I was not in there when they were doing it and the laundry room is not in the house, it is downstairs separate from the rest of the house. Also had some dry wall replaced on the upper back porch. Again I was not in direct contact.

I am not sure what has caused this nasal stuffiness. I also get pain/pressure behind my eyes and around my nose at times. It has been almost a month now with no reprieve. I actually feel it is worse now that it was when it first started. I went to see an ENT doctor and he looked in my nose with a camera and said it was congested( not with mucous, but that my nasal passage was swollen). He said maybe allergies. He gave me nasonex nasal spray to try and said maybe see an allergist. Well I tried the nasonex one spray and felt it made my nose feel more stuffy so I did not use it again. I called my primary care and she prescribed me medrol dose pack( 4mg pills of mehylperdnisolone) where you take 6 pills first day, 5 pills the second day, 4 pills the third and so fourth one less pill every day until the 6th day. The first day I felt a little better. The second day it did not feel to good again. I finished the medrol dose pack and still did not feel good, still had the stuffiness and irritation in my nasal passage. Went back to the ENT and he did a CT scan and said my sinuses looked clear. He said my nasal turbinate was swollen though and said I should see the allergist. Well I made an appt to see my allergist and she looked in my nose and at the time it was not as swollen so she said it did not look bad to her. She said she did not feel it was allergies. She said with allergies I would be sneezing a lot and have a runny nose with itchy watery eyes. My only symptoms are nasal passage irritation/burning and stuffiness. I also get pressure around my eyes and my nose sometimes and get a headache.

So here I am almost four weeks with this miserable stuffy irritated nose. Nothing is helping. I am trying nasacort nasal spray for the last four days and still feel no better. Oral Pseudophedrine will help open my nose and stop some of the swelling but I dont like to to take it everyday because it has side effects. I tried neti-pot and felt it made it feel worse. My nose feels kind of dry at times so I think neti- pot just makes that worse. I even tried a little vaseline inside one of my nasal passages to see if it would feel better but it made me feel worse so I did not use it again.

So ENT doc does not think it is infection since I have no green mucous or drainage really. What could this be? I do not want this to become chronic. I need to get my nose to stop swelling so I am not stuffy. I read it can become chronic if it is not gotten under control and can cause sinus infections. I do not have a lot of mucous only that my nasal passage( turbinates) are swelling up. The only thing I can think of is that I was fine four weeks ago, I had that crying spell, I swept the basement and hubby cleaned that carpet. Something that day kicked this off it seems. We got rid of the carpet the very next day so the smell went away after that so I would think if it was that I would be better. I also am wondering if maybe there was some hidden mold or b bacteria or something in the house( although we did not see any) and it got disturbed and got into my nose and caused this reaction??? Any thoughts on this?

I made an appt to see a different ENT doc for this Monday coming up. I mean one ENT says possible allergies, Allergist says No it does not seem like allergies, and nothing I do is helping. Any ideas? Anyone else experience anything like this? I am so miserable with everything. That and having to deal with this moving and selling our house is just so hard with not feeling well :(

I've been having a lot of sinus issues this year and I figured it was the weather (it's been super dry and humid in Ontario, Canada this spring/summer). Or it could possibly be because I got my tonsils out in November of last year so I figured my sinuses were now taking the heat for my missing tonsils. I've even had my teeth checked twice because of the pain in my sinuses radiating downward. Good luck to you. It's been an awful year.