• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Natural alternative to Ensure or Boost

I've been reading about this enteral nutrition a bit and it sounds pretty neat. But when I went to Walmart today to get some Ensure, I was flabbergasted by the ingredients. Boost wasn't any better. Does anyone know of any good, natural alternatives to these products that avoid all the terrible ingredients but serve the same purpose?

I've used a product called Absorb plus by Jini Patel which is much better and without HFCS or those types of things. However, it's very expensive, especially if you are doing total enteral nutrition. It's worked really well for me and actually doesn't taste bad.

David

Co-Founder
Sarah, if you do well with Ensure, then pay no attention to any of this. But a quick search found these to be the primary ingredients for Ensure Plus:

Water, Corn Maltodextrin, Sugar, Milk Protein Concentrate, Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soy Protein Isolate.

Those may be fine for many. Others of us have dietary theories and/or sensitivities that necessitate that we stay away from such ingredients.

I've tried lots of different ones and also found Vega to taste the best. lol. However, I don't like the fact that they put maca root in it :/ Can't they just leave out some of the herbs in these drinks?

I've tried lots of different ones and also found Vega to taste the best. lol. However, I don't like the fact that they put maca root in it :/ Can't they just leave out some of the herbs in these drinks?
Why don't you like maca root? I've never tried it myself.

Is the Vega drink good to gain weight though? It seems too "healthy" to be a weight gainer but I could be wrong.