• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Natural Healing For Crohn's Disease video

Don't know about the herbal teas, but the diet sounds basically like the Specific Carbohydrate or "Paleolithic" diet. There appears to be a lot of people with IBD, IBS, etc who have benefited from it. I was at my 2nd appointment with my 3rd GI doc just yesterday & asked him his opinion. Usual reply, "It won't hurt but probably won't help." Uh-huh. Here's a good website on it, with foods to eat and avoid, etc http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/index.htm

I beat a very nasty flair that was complicated by multiple interabdominal fistulas with diet. It was done through the Kingston General hospital in Ontario Canada, but it was only to prepare me for surgery and even then I went onto Immune Suppression therapy afterward. I totally believe in severe diet restriction to deal with flairs.

My situation was the fistulas and resulting abscess were too severe to allow me to take Prednizone. My infection was too advanced and my condition to weakened. I was given a choice of Emergency surgery to remove all the diseased and perforated material, and hope there was enough left to function semi-normally. Or go on liquid diet with nutritional supplements to rest my bowel before an Elective surgery. It was a rough 3 moths but I did it. I did not eat anything that needed to be chewed for 3 moths and had a bag collecting the GI material leaking into a cavity in my abdominal wall the whole time. I liken this to the elemental diet used in Asia to treat the disease.

The inflammation broke without the use of Prdnizone or any other steroid. But the damage was too severe to avoid surgery. I was permanently leaking where my small bowel fistulized into the abdominal wall. My body had started to create its own stoma and they had to fix that or I would quite possibly die from infection at some point.

I see far too many people on here having to depend on $5,ooo/dose biologics and or steroid treatment to mange this disease. I really hope that by maintaining a restricted, yet healthy, diet I can avoid drug dependency.

I believe diet can help too. I think I was too far gone for it to do anything in my case. I didnt want to risk it going any further so i did the biologics. I think in the future when I have remission for awhile, I may go drug free and try diet again.

J

jthommo

I tried the Specific Carbohydrate Diet for six months and it didn't work for me, although it does appear to be effective for some people. It does mean a lot of work preparing the special foods and it was very disappointing that it seemed to have no effect for me.