• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Nausea anyone?

Hi all,

Just seeing who else gets bad nausea from this disease?

This is my main symptom and it gets so bad that I sometimes vomit from feeling so sick... not nice at all. I had it when I woke up yesterday morning and cont all day struggled to eat anything then went to sleep last night to only have it all night as well.. fun..fun. Not feeling that great today either hoping it will settle down soon.. Oh and no Im not preggas!! ;)

Edit - should have also mentioned that I am currently on no drugs to treat my crohns. I was taken off 6mp a week ago as I had a similar ep last weekend so my GI wanted to see if I was reacting to the 6mp. Thought that was it seeing as I got better towards end of last week but considering Im sick again over this weekend probably not 6mp doing it to me. I also got nausea bad with my first major flare and seemed to settle down once the flare was under control.

Last edited:

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
When I was on 6mp last year I was nauseated 24\7 and it was affecting my liver so I wasnt on it long. I can't be on immunosuppressants, none agree with me. Since I have been off them I am ok. Just the odd nausea. Hope you get it under control, it is not nice.

Jettalady - funny you should say that about 6mp cause my doc took me off it last monday thinking it might be reacting with me but I still had another attack this weekend after being well again for a few days so I would assume thats not what causing my nausea... I did have extreme nausea with my first flare so maybe thats just me as it was always my worse symptom.

Dan - thanks for the tip will grab some ginger capsules and give them a go willing to try anything at the moment.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
So now what meds are you on, if 6mp is gone, Somac I assume is for heartburn? Nausea could be the fact you are flaring.

Im on nothing at present waiting till I see my GI on the 10th Feb to decide where to go from here. Im wondering if I am indeed flaring.. there are just sooo many things that are similar to my first flare. It was weird and unpredictable I would be really sick with nausea, sometimes vomiting from the nausea, more frequent loose bm, sore lower back etc etc I would get these symptoms for a few days sometimes even up to a week then out of nowhere feel better again for another few days to a week then get sick again... this went of for 6 weeks until they did a scope and diagnosed me. Once on pred I felt great. At present since xmas I have been having a similar patten with getting sick. Just so confusing to figure out whats causing it all when I can't seem to get onto a drug that works to begin with. My GI said if I had been on 6mp for a few months with no issues then he would have thought it was a flare straight up... just feel like Im an experiment at the moment. I know we will get there and work out what drugs suit me but its just so frustrating while it happens plus I have never had issues with having reactions to drugs before so stupid me just thought it would be easy I would start the drugs and then all would be good. Wishful thinking!!

I get nausea pretty horribly, but I'm not sure if it's IBD related or not. I've always had a sensitive stomach, so who knows! I'll get so bad from doing simple things like being a passenger in a car or skipping a meal, etc.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Tan exactly where to you have pain in your back? I had kidney stones and I was nauseated, back aches... not fun. Just curious. I do know that the pain can radiate to other places, and the back is one place.

I've experienced horrible 24/7 nausea for more than a year. My doctor preformed every test known and the only thing that showed up was that my stomach takes forever to empty, so he prescribed maxeran. The nausea still didn't go away until I developed a fistula and had to go on Remicade and Imuran. Hope you get relief soon.

I get nausea as well, especially if I miss a meal. My doc has me on the dissolvable Zofran and it seems to help but gives me crazy headaches. But if i take the pill form of the Zofran, it makes me more nauseous! He gave me another one last week to use if the Zofran didn't help, but he said it would prolly knock me out, so I haven't taken it yet.

I usually don't react bad to medications either, so I also had the wishful thinking of taking something and getting better! I couldn't have been more wrong LOL I have reacted badly to so many med's lately that I'm scared to take anything now! When they put me on my Anxiety meds, I had an anxiety attack about taking the pill! My mom and husband were laughing at me and telling me that if I would just take the pill my anxiety would go away, but I was scared to death that I was gonna react badly to them as well!

vshirey317 said:
I get nausea pretty horribly, but I'm not sure if it's IBD related or not. I've always had a sensitive stomach, so who knows! I'll get so bad from doing simple things like being a passenger in a car or skipping a meal, etc.
Ha..ha.. you sound similar to me.. I actually only have to think about vomit and nearly vomit.. I have a weak/sensitive stomache too and have issues on boats and skipping meals etc. I sometimes wonder if its crohns that is causing my nausea or not. But when Im feeling great in general ie no issues with my bowels or pain I don't have nausea so can only assume its all linked. I really hate this disease and how frustrating it all is to determined between whether its related to crohns or not!

Nic said:
I usually don't react bad to medications either, so I also had the wishful thinking of taking something and getting better! I couldn't have been more wrong LOL I have reacted badly to so many med's lately that I'm scared to take anything now! When they put me on my Anxiety meds, I had an anxiety attack about taking the pill! My mom and husband were laughing at me and telling me that if I would just take the pill my anxiety would go away, but I was scared to death that I was gonna react badly to them as well!
Sorry Nic but you made me laugh reading bout you having an anxiety attack over taking your anxiety pills you poor thing would have been had worse by your hubby and mum laughing at you! Hope it all works out for you too with your next treatment. Im interested to see what my GI decides to put me on next.

Tan said:
Sorry Nic but you made me laugh reading bout you having an anxiety attack over taking your anxiety pills you poor thing would have been had worse by your hubby and mum laughing at you! Hope it all works out for you too with your next treatment. Im interested to see what my GI decides to put me on next.
Looking back at it now, it was silly. But I have gotten so sick from different meds lately that I'm terrified to take anything. Last time they gave me morphene in the ER my blood pressure dropped like crazy, the nurse started worrying and the way it made me feel I was freaking out! I kept asking her why people were addicted to it? That I couldn't stand it and that they were idiots! I think it helped her not to worry so much because she was cracking up. But it seems like everything lately has made me have some sort of rediculous reaction and now I'm terrified. I'm even scared to start my Humira in the next couple of weeks and on top of that I started freaking out some over the TB test I had to do! I'm actually about to leave to go have my arm checked to get those results, that will be a BIG relief in itself!!

Hey Nic (sorry for hijacking your thread Tan!!) I totally understand the anxiety about anxiety meds thing! Years ago, the first time I was given pills for anxiety I really had a panic attack abotu taking them. The first time I went and spent the evening at my parents house while I took it because I was so scared. It DID feel like it made me feel weird but I expect that was just the anxiety about it. I guess the best advice I can give is that you HAVE to try it because the anxiety can be so debilitating! Good luck :)

When my Crohn's flares in the illeum, I am always naseaus. Pentasa worked for me controlling it in that area, unfortunately it moved elsewhere in the bowel (just to keep it interesting). Aside from meds, peppermint tea or peppermint Altoids work really well for nausea.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Mountaingem has the right idea, I have a another Crohnie friend who uses and swears by peppermint oil.. could work.

Thanks guys will give the peppermint a go... really can't wait to see my GI next week so I can get back on some drugs... I really don't think I was reacting to the 6mp considering I have been off it now for 8 days and still feeling not great. Oh well only time will tell!

Careful with the peppermint tea - it relaxes your esophageal sphincter and can cause you to have reflux/heartburn. May not for everyone - just something to think about. Chocolate can do the same thing.

I hope you get it figured out Tan. I was hoping getting off the Imuran was going to make you fee better. Bummer!