• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Nausea...When I throw up, I can't stop

I can't take the nausea I've been having. It gives me unending anxiety too because 9 times out of 10, if I throw up once I can't stop. I basically have to try to sedate myself as that seems to be the only thing that prevents me from continuing to throw up. And it is hard to do in the middle of throwing up which is why it usually doesn't work. It is like once my esophagus contracts from throwing up, it can't stop. It usually lands me in the hospital for the day/evening getting IV fluids, pain and anti-nausea meds.

Does anyone else have any issues with this? If so, what do you do? Is it possible that there is some other issue going on that I am missing and should be more concerned about? Or do I just chalk it up to the crohns/GERD combo and call it lucky? It's been over a year since a doc has been in there to look at things.

Ever since I was diagnosed in the Fall of 2004 with crohns and GERD. It isn't occurring non-stop but it has been a problem for a long time now. I'm not presently vomiting, but I feel very nauseous like I am about to. I am actually at work. Basically, because I know what will happen if I do throw up, I do everything in my power not to because I don't want to end up in the ER. My doctors know I have an issue where when I throw up once, I can't stop. I haven't thrown up yet, but have been viciously nauseous like I might at any moment for about a month. I know I do need to go to the doctor because I know the crohns is not under control. Do you have any problems in stopping throwing up once you start? It is like my esophagus goes into overdrive and won't stop, much like my immune system during a crohns flare. I am going to try to get in to see my GI in the next week or so. I haven't placed a call yet because I am scared of the meds. I know it is silly, but I have panic disorder and they carry loads of horrible side effects that terrify, particularly before I have children (I won't mind what I put in my body so much once I have them, you know?). I'm just trying not to throw up right now because of the unending ugliness that is sure to follow and am wondering if anyone else has this problem. Sometimes I worry that doctors write off a lot of stuff...and when my esophagus spasms (for lack of a better word) it sends me to the hospital every time. I've gone 12 hours straight throwing up, keeping nothing down and being admitted for severe dehydration more than once in the past (so it isn't happening right now).

Repetitive Partial Bowel Obstructions will cause lots of nausea and vomiting. BTDT. Once you get the fluids and pain meds aboard, the bowels realx, the obstruction resolves itself and things go back to normal.

So if you have had surgery, or scar tissue like I did from endomertriosis causing a portion of the small bowel to attach to my uterus - this could be the issue. I had to change to a low fiber diet and watch the volume consumed at any one meals and have managed to stop having them.

Terriernut

No, I havent had that exact issue. But my crohns is mostly in the large bowel. But when I'm flaring, I am constantly sick to my stomach and it takes next to nothing to make me vomit. But....I get strictures. And that is what causes my vomitting. So yes, you need to get in. Yes, the medicines are not pleasant, but, what you are going thru isnt either!

The worst part of crohns is, if left untreated the scar tissue and worse issues down the road. So dont wait to get help, you need some healing.
:ghug:

Go to the doctors!

I have the same problem with nausea and after 3 days of non stop vomiting over the weekend I ended up back at my GP on Monday and had to have an IV of fluids because I was very dehydrated and had a shot for the nausea which worked wonders. They said I was lucky not to end up in hospital.

I'm on both metaclopramide and ondansetron for nausea and neither of them do it for me. Honestly as much as it sucks, get to the doctors/hospital and get some meds into you because dehydration can be so, so dangerous!

Nicole xx