• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Nausea with Humira

First time poster here

I have UC and have been on Humira since January to treat it. Have also been on Asacol and azathioprine for a long time. For 3 years I never really hit remission hence finally trying Humira but since I started I've been getting frequently nauseous. My GI brushed it off saying that's not a common symptom for Humira but it was the last straw when I took my weekly dose this week. I've had a cold for a few days but when I took my shot I was dizzy and threw up the next morning. It felt like I had vertigo and was dizzy all day. Has this happened to anyone else?

my little penguin

Staff member
I know for ds when he gets a cold or gi bug then his system crashes
Think of it this way it barely keeps up when the rest of your body is healthy
So it's definitely can't keep up when your system is depleted from a cold
He takes way longer to get back to his baseline after even when the cold symptoms are gone

Thing to keep in mind
When are you nauseous
24 /7 or is it worse after eating

Ds was nauseous for a long time
We tried to blame everything else including meds
Did a gastric emptying scan and found out he had delayed emptying which is. Ommin woth ibd as an extra intestinal manifestation

Tagging maya142

Maya142

Staff member
Do you get nauseous with meals? Or just after Humira?

With delayed gastric emptying, people tend to feel nauseous and full after meals. They sometimes feel full after only eating a few bites. Some also have abdominal pain.

For the longest time, we blamed my daughter's nausea on her Crohn's or meds and then it turned out she had Gastroparesis! Motility medications have helped her.

A gastric emptying test is fairly easy to do and non-invasive.

Azathioprine can also cause nausea though if you've been on that for a while, it shouldn't (unless you recently increased the dose)?

The other thing is that inflammation can also cause nausea. And if you have any strictures or narrowing those could cause nausea too.

I'd try and pinpoint the cause with your GI before making any decisions about Humira.

The reason why I think it's the Humira is because I never had problems with nausea before I started it (even with azathioprine). I usually get nauseous first thing in the morning before even eating breakfast or after a few bites. Usually the day/days after my injection. I've also gotten nauseous before eating or just the middle of the day for no reason. Sometimes a bad smell will trigger it. Also FYI definitely not preggo so it's not morning sickness