• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Navy with Crohns

I was diagnosed a little under a year ago with moderate crohns disease, I was out of work for a month while the doctors tried to get the infections under control and treat the abcess' on my rectum from spending so much time on the toilet. All of this while on active duty in the United States Navy as a Corpsman, if you dont know what that is we're the navy medics. I'm still on active duty more than likely about to get out because I cannot deploy anymore because I have to be near a treatment facility. Its been a hard road that I know is only going to get harder but I have faith I can do it with the support of my family and friends.

Astra

And we'll support you too! Stick with us!
Welcome Navy!
Fantastic job you do
What meds are you on? Have they mentioned the biologics? Remicade or Humira?
xxxx

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi navycorpsman and welcome! If you keep that positive attitude, take your meds, and remain proactive about your health, there is no reason things have to get harder. Yes, you'll have your good days and bad, but take care of yourself, and hopefully you'll have more good days!

I am glad Humira seems to be helping. I hope it continues to work for you for years and years! Good luck!

Good luck navycorpsman,
I was in the Royal Navy & had to leave because of Crohns. It isn't easy being told you cant go to sea anymore & because of that you have to go. I had it for two years before it was diagnosed, not easy feeling so unwell & trying to do your duty on a warship-I can totally understand how you feel. Good luck shipmate, hope things work out for you.
Rgds

1st symptoms 1983
Diagnosed 1985
1997 Right Hemicolectomy & Resection
2002 Laperotomy & Resection
2010 Laproscopic Ileocolic Resection

Been on Azathioprine & Pred

Currently on Entocort 3mg every other day
Humira 40mg every two weeks
Calcichew
Pentasa 4gm daily
3mthly B12 Jabs

Is there no way for a former navy personnel to relist in the navy after being discharged with crohns? I understand the non-deplorable aspect of the disease however, are there not jobs on shore or administrative jobs a person diagnosis with crohns can do?

Is there no way for a former navy personnel to relist in the navy after being discharged with crohns? I understand the non-deplorable aspect of the disease however, are there not jobs on shore or administrative jobs a person diagnosis with crohns can do?
If you go into the support section, there is a subsection for those in the military. You should check it out.