• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need advice for working with flare ups

Do the majority of people here hold a full time job? I've been having a lot of trouble getting to work. I have a job in sales & requires attention to details & focus. How does everyone deal with their employers. Mine so far are working with me but r getting frustrated. I fear I'm going to lose my job because of this. I just go my prescription for Imuran today & started steroids last week. Now I have impacted bowels from constipation. Starting to relieve a little with an enema, not as well as I thought. I've tried going to work but am not productive at all. I need advice please

I have a job, but it's really part time and my boss knows my situation. I didn't want to tell them at first, but I felt that it was necessary because they might think I'm just a flake for calling in too much. Are you newly diagnosed?

When I have a flare I do what I need to do as much as possible. I try not to use any energy on things like chores. Seriously, some times I get 10-12 hours of sleep just to keep my tummy calm.

Rest and fluids and gentle food.

PrincessPaint, Thank you. I was starting to feel like a wussy. I was diagnosed around the end of March but was sick for about 3 months before they figured it out.
I've already taken a 3 week leave from work to try to get started on meds & get control of this beast. Never got medication during that time off because my insurance denied the Humira. Went back to work 1 day & now back home for day 3 with an impacted bowel (you thought the ulcers hurt? Holy cow!) I finally started steroids last week & Imuran yesterday. I believe the steroids did this to me.
I spoke with my employer last night to let them know specifically what was going on. They are being very understanding and agreed to let me work part time for awhile until I get this under control. It helps that my boss's best friend has had Crohn's for 20 years so she knows the struggle in going thru.

ronroush7: I think my employers are doing the same thing. I'm lucky to work for a small business run by a husband & wife who are amazing. I'm just scared because they can only put up with so much. I'm only 45 so I have a ways to go before retirement.

ronroush7: I think my employers are doing the same thing. I'm lucky to work for a small business run by a husband & wife who are amazing. I'm just scared because they can only put up with so much. I'm only 45 so I have a ways to go before retirement.
Sending support, Diggity.

I to work in sales and my DSM was not at all understanding.

I was taking conference calls from the bathroom at work. I was Dx with the flu, spent the day in the ER. When I called in sick for one day, she happened to be there and I was told ok you can have the day off but, need to be at work by three the next day. I have 44 hours PTO time.

I just started short term disability again, back on steroids for the second time since November when I went back to work after FMLA.

I am a hard worker and push myself to stay on the top of the board for sales but, wow I just couldn't take it any more.

Lauren

Diggity,

I know the stress. I'm the executive sous chef at a little-ish french brasserie in downtown Calgary. It's hot, it's hostile, I'm on my feet non-stop for 10-12 hours a day minimum 5-6 days a week. I often wonder if I'm going to be able to keep it up (just diagnosed 2 weeks ago), luckily for me, the executive chef and I are good friends, and he's been extremely understanding and supportive through this ordeal. I can't help but feel like I'm letting him down because of my illness sometimes.

Regardless, this disease waits for no one, and we press on and persevere!!

Hope this finds you well :)

Keenan

I'm a teacher and I totally understand your concerns about work! I am afraid every day that I will have to run from my class. I also have a 30 minute drive to work which stresses me out because I'm afraid I will have urgency while driving. I have stopped eating breakfast because I don't trust my body.

I told my administration about my disease and explained to them I might need someone to cover me once in a while. They are supportive,but it's still so scary!

I've been in sales for 10 years with Crohn's. It's hard, especially since I have a 6 state territory. Lots of plane and car trips. I do as much as I can via email and phone. I still travel almost 100 overnights per year. My boss is understanding but they still want me to hit my numbers. Remember Crohn's is covered by the ADA(if your in the US). I have had to pull the ADA "card" before tried to give me a roommate at a sales meeting. I told them I had to have my own bathroom so I got a private hotel room they paid for. It's a stressful job that can flare up the Crohn's so you'll have to manage the stress. If you travel don't eat the trash fast foods (I learned that made it worse) I now go to grocery stores when I'm on th road and bring my George Foreman grill.

Bufford

My employer put up with me, but once the door opened for the early retirement program they promoted at the time and together with surgery for the colostomy I was prompted to go. As the saying goes 'Don't let the door hit you when you leave'.