• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need advice(job loss)

About a month ago I was told I would be let go from my job. The same day, they told me they changed their minds but would be hiring another person. I worked 30-40 hours for 2 weeks with the new person. At that point, I was told they were "slow" and I could go to a "as needed" basis or leave. I chose the as needed. After 2 weeks of no phone calls, and being told by text it was "slow", I filed for unemployment.

Now, my former employer is fighting my unemployment. I don't get it. It is a small, family owned business and they are saying I was let go due to medical reasons. Another girl was gone for 2 weeks, while I was in the hospital for 4 days. I was told I was let go because they were too slow for so many people. They were supposed to be my friends as well-I am just hurt and do not know what my next step should be.

I am hurt because these people claimed to be my friends-I loved my job.

I don't know much about unemployment in the US, but if all is as stated above, I can see some problems for you if it were Canada. Your post effectively states that you filed for unemployment while technically being listed as an "as needed" employee. In Canada you would not get a record of employment with which to file for unemployment and that would be an immediate issue.

I can see under those circumstances that your previous employer may have also felt hurt. You don't state that you told them you were filing, so the notice of your termination of employment would have come from the government agency.

Please not that I am not trying to pick on you, just that while I understand the need to ensure your financial stability I think you may have missed a few steps along the way based on your post. Hope you can get this settled down shortly and try not to let it get in the way of future progress.

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. Really sorry that I have no knowledge that might help. I read your post about the situation leading up to this on another thread and I think it seems like a very upsetting situation and that you were treated very poorly - that would be true even without the personal relationship you have but so much more hurtful given you considered them friends. Just wanted to say that I really feel for you and am sorry you're dealing with this on top of everything else.

I don't know much about unemployment in the US, but if all is as stated above, I can see some problems for you if it were Canada. Your post effectively states that you filed for unemployment while technically being listed as an "as needed" employee. In Canada you would not get a record of employment with which to file for unemployment and that would be an immediate issue.

I can see under those circumstances that your previous employer may have also felt hurt. You don't state that you told them you were filing, so the notice of your termination of employment would have come from the government agency.

Please not that I am not trying to pick on you, just that while I understand the need to ensure your financial stability I think you may have missed a few steps along the way based on your post. Hope you can get this settled down shortly and try not to let it get in the way of future progress.

I don't take it as picking on me. I think I missed a few parts when I told the story. They do not contest the termination-they are stating that they let me go because of my medical issues-not that I quit.

They never once wrote me up for missed work. I have in writing that I did not need medical notes, etc. I still got drs notes though. They hired someone to replace me then told me I was "as needed" but kept a girl who had missed as much work as me but was not trained(they were good friends).

I would understand more if they said I quit, but they are saying they let me go because I couldn't do my job. If that was true, why was I working 30-35hr a week the weeks before.

I am an attorney here in California, although I do not practice employment law. I strongly suggest that you contact a labor attorney in your area for advice. They will be best able to advise you on your options. Many attorneys will even do free consultations over the phone.

Best of luck to you.

Lady Organic

Staff member
so you didnt have any contract? If this is the case, i dont think there are any legal procedures you could explore. but im no expert. (edit: ok so according to the Rob attorny post above, it could be a possiblity, sorry). But anyway, from what I read in your posts, I feel you liked that job and those people and that you probally would like to reconnect with them. So your best bet could be to try to have a improvised meeting with them to express them how you feel. I wouldnt call, just show up early without notice and on a day when the business is slow and people not tired at the end of the day. Be opened and tell them how sad you feel that you have terminated this job that you loved and this friendly relationship you fear you have lost and how you dont understand what happened. Just be honnest and authentic expressing your sentiments and try to ask them the same in return. I have had great communications which have turned things around in my life. Hopefully such a conversation, if you feel thats something you want to do, could lead to a reconnection with you and your friends. Good luck.

I can't advise you on the legal, formal side of things, but for the informal, I agree with Lady Organic's suggestion. If you were friends with your employers, talk to them. There may have been a misunderstanding. Have you told them how confused you are by this? Do you know in what ways they felt you couldn't do your job? You were working 30 - 40 hours a week, but could there have been problems with the work you did? Or did you give your employers any reason to think it may not be good for your health to continue working? They do have a responsibility to ensure you're safe while working for them. I think on another thread you said they did let you go on medical grounds including that they thought you were too underweight?

Last edited:
I think on another thread you said they did let you go on medical grounds including that they thought you were too underweight?
They did make that comment. I just got off the phone with the unemployment people. They put laid off on the application but then wrote that it was due to medical reasons.

They lied and said they spoke with me numerous times about my medical conditions effecting my work. I never once had a conversation like this. They said they told me they were hiring someone else to replace me and they would find something else for me to do. They never said any of this to me. They said I was in the hospital too much. I went to the ER after work and always showed up the next day. I had been in the hospital for 4 days before getting fired but worked a full week before all this happened.

I was told not to communicate with them at all. A formal notice will be sent next week determining if I receive benefits. At that point, they or I can appeal.