• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need Advice (new)

My son is 20 and was diagnosed with Crohn's disease at 18. He was prescribed Asacol 800mg 3 times, Aciphex 20mg once a day, and steriods. He went through 9 weeks of this and was doing much better so they gradually moved him off of the steroids and down to Asacol 2xday. This has worked great up until last 2 weeks ago when he developed a very large abscess in his adominal area and had to be hospitalized for 4 days. They placed a drain tube in the abscess for 11 days and put him on Flagyl and Cipro. He is not off of all of that and had the tube removed yesterday. The doctor wants to put him on Humira injections now and take him off of the other meds. After reading all of the side effects I just can't bring myself to it. Does anyone have any other advice on medications? His Crohn's is in him ileum, lower small intestines and slightly in his stomach. He has moderate.

I was on Asacol and Humira 2 years ago. I personally do not like the Humira. It can and will lower your immune system. I had to have some of my lower intestine and ileum taken out and because of the Humira my body wasn't able to heal like it should have, and it all came apart in me. It got really really bad. Others may have good experiences with it, but the side effects are too much for me.. I will say it did work ok for me at first. Im on Lialda, Azathioprine, and Colestipol and have been for awhile and its doing good for me.. Hope you find some anawers you are looking for.

I have no experience with Humira but my was diagnosed at 15 and went straight to Remicade, another biologic similar to Humira, his CD was located in his TI. The results were immediate as far as taking away all his symptoms but after the loading doses he was unable to make it the full 8 weeks without symptoms returning. So his schedule was shortened to 6 weeks, his dose was increased and we eventually added methotrexate.

He is 17 now and this has been his regimen. He hasn't experienced side effects and actually seems to get sick(infections, viruses, colds) less often than the rest of us.

If you are uncomfortable with the GIs suggestion it might be helpful to make a list of your concerns and questions and go over them with the GI.

The meds are scary but to me so is under treated, uncontrolled CD. Hugs!