• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need advice regarding constipation

I’m at my wits’ end here and don’t know what to do. Right now, my Crohn’s is mostly in remission, though it’s still problematic in that I’m suffering from constipation. I’ve had this problem for a long time, even before my first flare-up. For years, I dealt with it by eating foods extra fiber (cereal) until that no longer worked. Then I started taking milk of magnesia, and it works every time. (Miralax, not so much.) Nowadays, fiber makes me constipated.

But now I can’t find the right balance. If I take too little of it, it just doesn’t work. And if I take too much, well, we know how that goes. I also take Phillips probiotic capsules, which for some reason makes me go — never a lot at once, but it usually works within an hour or two and is pretty forceful. My problem is that in addition to having Crohn’s, I have primary sclerosing cholangitis, which has put me on the liver transplant list. I’m hoping to have the surgery sometime this summer. Here’s the tricky part: I have no idea when it will happen, so I just have to be “on-call” and make it to the OR within four hours. Because I’m taking milk of magnesia and probiotics, I’m worried that I’ll get the call after I’ve just taken some.

So now I must figure out how to prepare myself so the odds are more in my favor. Is there any way to get anywhere near “regular”? Are my insides too far gone at this point, or are there foods/supplements that can help? I’ve tried plenty, and they usually make things worse. (Anything with any kind of fiber backs me up completely. I can’t eat any kind of fruit.) My doctors don’t have any answers, so now I’m seeking the sage advice of those with experience.

Forgot to mention: I'm well aware of the supposed "cure-all" diets (SCD, paleo, Maker's). Those are not practical for me right now, and I'm quite skeptical of them anyway. I may try one down the line, but right now, I'm not in a position to make such big changes (mainly, all the cooking involved).

Look into chia seeds, I used to be very constipation started taking chia seeds and seemed fixed that issue. They're nutritious too, good source of omega3s(best among all the plants I believe), fiber, antioxidants, protein. Just start slow and move your way up. You can try Psyllium Husk powder its alittle cheaper, but I prefer chia seeds. Make sure you drink plenty of water helps the chia seeds perform that much better.

Look into chia seeds, I used to be very constipation started taking chia seeds and seemed fixed that issue. They're nutritious too, good source of omega3s(best among all the plants I believe), fiber, antioxidants, protein. Just start slow and move your way up. You can try Psyllium Husk powder its alittle cheaper, but I prefer chia seeds. Make sure you drink plenty of water helps the chia seeds perform that much better.
Thanks. I'll definitely look into it.

I am having issues finding a balance too. No matter what I eat, I am having issues. If I go one way with too much of one thing I get loose, but then if I try to eat foods that firm my stool, I get consitpated.

I would tread carefully with the chia seeds if you decide to try them. My friend who has no health issues takes them and she said when she started she was in the toilet pooping like crazy at first( like 8 times a day). I would start with very small amounts if you try it. Sorry you are dealing with this. Have you tried different probitoics besides the phillips? Maybe look into a different probiotic. They have capsules you can buy or there is a drink called kefir probitoics that has alot of strains in it. Just start out small in the beginning and work your way up. Hope you find some relief.

Just looked up your Philips Probiotic 1.5billion per serving isn't much but it is better than nothing. Some good quality probiotic brands:
VSL#3(I read that your doctor can prescribe it if not you can buy off amazon.com)
Healthforce Friendly Forces
Garden of Life Probiotics

All have much much more probiotics per serving tho they are more money. Cheapest way to get probiotics in your system is by making water kefir. You can look up videos on youtube that show you the process seems pretty simple.

Also with chia seeds, definitely start slow you might have a bit more gas than usual when you start it, it'll go away after your body adjusts to the extra fiber in your diet.

What types of fibre are you taking? If you're taking insoluble fibres, like lettuce, and vegetables, rather than soluble fibres like rice, it could be contributing to your constipation rather then helping.

I am like that, I'm undiagnosed, but if I'm flared up and eat veggies, it's about the worst that I can get.

Feel better

Nathan