• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need advice.

Hello has anyone had a infection near stoma. ? I believe its called PYODERMA GANGRENOSUM. Have to use steroid puffer on the infection.Looks pretty grosse to me ,any advice on how to let it heal when there is my 2 pc ostomy bag covering the spot. Also i have a bad ache "like a stitch" on my right side, cannot stand for more than 20 mins or so before i need to go sit down and put some heat to it. My Doc says its prob a pulled muscle from trying to avoid the abdomen area. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I don't have a stoma, so I could be wrong, but you could try washing it with some water with epsom salts in it... Some people claim it helps the body to heal.

Towards the stitch: be careful it doesn't get too painful or last too long... I'm assuming you've got CD or UC, which means it could be an abscess starting to form. Just be careful, and use good judgement. If you find yourself thinking "why have i had a pulled muscle for a month", it might be time for a second opinion.

Best of luck.

Nyx

I have an abscess right beside my stoma and I've been covering it with a sterile pad (that I cut to fit) with some polysporin on it. It seems to be helping, and if you get the polysporin with the lidnocaine in it, it helps with the pain. I also put tegaderm on the outside of my flange because the polysporin tends to make the flange not want to stick very well. I'm finding I can get 3 or 4 days out of my flange if I do that.

Thanks Nchuleftingth (Ben) Where did u ever come up with that name?. I see you are from the maritimes. I have had this pain for the last mth, i think i will ask for second opinion. If that is what i have, do you end up on antibiotics? I have UC ,have had it since 2003. Now i need to deal with all this gas which tends to sting during output. Bloody well hurts. I guess no rest for the wicked. Thanks Cindy for your info, trying to figure out how to put the flange on without covering up the infection. As of now i have to change bag every day to get to the infection which is just near the edge of flange. really need to see stoma nurse again.

I dealt with the same situation for a couple of months (abscess). The stoma nurse is definitely needed, she'll show you how to dress it. I used a piece of silver gauze (just a small square covering the draining area) and topped that with a product called duoderm on top of the abscessed area. Then put my flange on top. Only gave me a couple of days out of a flange because it was draining bad.
Tegaderm definitely helped keep the flange on better, get some!

Hi Cecilia. Yeah, they'll likely start you with antibiotics. Some people find they help. Some don't. Either way, good luck :)

Hi thanks for replying.I actually went to the Cobequid. A small version of Emerg. I had cat scan and its a spazmotic muscle. They did find a stone in my kidney. I only have 1 kidney so i try to b very careful.Now i just need to deal with the infection near my stoma. Will b intouch, thanks for ur help. Hope you are doing well.

I knew some people who went to Cobequid something-or-other school. I worked with them at a summer camp. They were from NS. :)

LOL no Cobequid is a school in the Truro area. I went to a small version of a hospital ,handy to have instead of going to Queen Elizabeth 2 in Halifax.