• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need advise about Disability!

So I am unable to work due to my crohns, i have not even had it for a year and it is not under control yet, so i just applied for disability. I meet a women at my Crohns support group and she has been fighting for disability since 2005 and got turned down 2 times and is now in appeals court. That really worried me and I cant understand how they would turn someone down, Crohns is not some easy disease that people can deal with. I am writing this thread to see if anyone else has applied and or got approved and what they did or said. Also how long the process took..how long they will get disability..etc. Thank you so much for your help and input right now I need it. Thanks Guys!!!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I've been on disability since I was about 10 years old. I'm 27 now and still get disability benefits.

I had a review recently with the SS office and one of the main things they like to hear which helps in getting or keeping SSI is that you've been hospitalized recently (last 2 years) and they usually like that amount of time to be at least one month. That doesn't mean you can't get benefits if you haven't been hospitalized for that long or have never been hospitalized. That's more like a automatic green light for getting disability (least it was for me), which it how I got it originally.

These days, I think it would be best to speak with a lawyer about it and have them help you win your case. I almost lost my SSI once because I hadn't been in the hospital much (was after my surgery) and I got a lawyer who worked with a doctor who knew a lot about crohns. Only took about 2 months to win my case.
Perhaps you could contact Binder and Binder (a law offices specifically for SS benefits). http://www.binderandbinder.com/contact-binder-and-binder.html

There is no amount of time set in stone for how long you can receive disability. It's a disability, you get it for as long as you're disabled. But you can work while getting benefits if you want. They have a program for that but be sure to talk to them about it. That's something you'll want to do when you're ready to start working again.

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
Hi Crabby, I'm curious. I ended up having to move in with my parents again just to stay a float. I lost my job, and everything else because of this disease. Its very hard to work right now. I haven't since June of last year. How do I qualify do you know?

Sorry to hijack your thread crohns072009. I'm curious and thought Crabby might have a few more answers and could post them here.

Thanks

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
I think JennJenn is on Disability...you may want to search some of her posts...I could be wrong. (sorry if i am Jenn)....Most people recommend getting a lawyer.

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
How silly is it that those of us that need disability have to retain the services of a lawyer for help....

Erazer..... Can you please give me some advice re disability in Aus.
I have been researching my options in case of discharge which is looking likely. If I hadnt been in the defence there is no way I would have been able to hold down a job last year.

I cant see any benefits available to me if I am medically discharged though. I am too young to qualify for unemployment benefits. The only thing that would come close is Youth Allowance and even then because I have worked hard and have some savings in the bank and my house which I may have to rent out if I am unemeployed, I would have to wait 13 weeks before being eligible for any payments. Dont qualify for Sickness Benefit as I dont have a job to return to.
I dont see any benefit that I would qualify for so any help would be appreciated.

You are not wrong IMP :) I am on disability since Nov 08. I do recommend getting an attorney. They will help you, and when your not feeling well it is a lot less stress for you to deal with. The last thing you want when dealing with the complications from your crohns is more stress.

Hi there, You guys are all so lucky to get disability I am in New Zealand living with CD and UC since 2008 well was told in 2008! If you have a partner here and they earn say $30,000 a year you can not get anything even if you have a child. I have just started back at work 3 days ago and finding it hard with the pains still and the stress of learning a new job again. So if you live any were else you can count your lucky stars.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi Mike. You don't HAVE to get a lawyer but they do help A LOT. What mine told me is that the government will do anything to not have to dish out money no matter what. He said that bringing a lawyer actually scares them into getting things rolling because they don't like having to deal with lawyers at all. For me, it cost about the total of one check from SSI to pay off my lawyer (~$850). For me it was worth the cost because I would have lost it otherwise. I was a student in college at the time and really didn't want to deal with the hassle.

These are the steps you need to take to get started if you choose to do this without a lawyer:

Step 1: Review the Adult Disability Starter Kit. This kit answers common questions about applying for benefits and includes a worksheet that will help you gather the information you need.
http://www.ssa.gov/disability/disability_starter_kits_adult_factsheet.htm#disability

Step 2: Fill out the online Adult Disability Report. At the end of the report, we will ask you to sign a form that gives your doctor permission to send us information about your disability. We need this information so we can make a decision on your claim.
https://secure.ssa.gov/apps6z/radr/radr-fe

Step 3: Complete your application for SSI disability benefits by calling our toll free number (1-800-772-1213) between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday and making an appointment. You may choose to apply for benefits either by phone or in person at your local Social Security office. One of our representatives will help you apply for the benefits. Please have your Social Security number handy when you call us. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you may call our TTY number, 1-800-325-0778 during the same hours.

It's best to make an appointment over the phone rather than just walking in and waiting for a representative. My mom did all of this for me when I was a kid without a lawyer. She doesn't remember all of the details though. But above is what Social Security says to do. All of that info is from: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/

*EDIT: THIS IS IMPORTANT! When filling out any information about your disease, only talk about your worst days possible. NEVER say that you feel fine here and there. This helps the decision to go in your favor. This is what my mom told me to do when I applied for my appeal and I bet that's what she did when she applied for me. Don't forget this.*

Last edited:
Hi Guys! I as well have thought about filing for SSI as it seems I am at home more then I work. I am covered under FMLA but not sure how much more my job will take even though I have been there 8 yrs. Do they take in consideration the time you have missed work? For me, I missed work 11/08 - 5/09 and now I have been out since 2/1/10. Of course there have been several days throughout the last couple of years as well. And I have had two surgeries for blockages.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
pcbgirl227 said:
Hi Guys! I as well have thought about filing for SSI as it seems I am at home more then I work. I am covered under FMLA but not sure how much more my job will take even though I have been there 8 yrs. Do they take in consideration the time you have missed work? For me, I missed work 11/08 - 5/09 and now I have been out since 2/1/10. Of course there have been several days throughout the last couple of years as well. And I have had two surgeries for blockages.
They listen to any information you provide. Be very specific as to why you missed work. Don't just say you have crohns, say what your symptoms were that kept you from working. Try to keep it brief and to the point and only talk about your worst days possible. They also love any proof you can provide. So along with medical records, send them proof of missed work even if its a letter from your boss.

Check out my post above if you haven't already.

merrywidow

mum with a dogdy tum
mwb3779 said:
How silly is it that those of us that need disability have to retain the services of a lawyer for help....
in the uk we cant get disability if we have crohns. we have to have some other illness/disease as well. crohns is not bad enough on its own to warrant the title.

Hi Guys,

I am having some trouble myself with my GI. He can't see me because he's always busy. He can't endorse disability on my insurance form because he has not been treating me long enough. He can't say I can't work indefinitely because I might be strong tomorrow but not next week and strong next month but not next year. This trend can go on for many years but employers are not tolerant of situations like these.

I have sent out several of my CVs for jobs and have actually had very successful interview but when the time came to where I had to declare my condition I was turned down... always at that point.

We need to find a Society or look into establishing a society that can take our rights before any medical board not matter what part of the globe. We are real people with real health issues and complications.

I have only just today been looking for said services online. I have not had the chance to read up on anything yet but there is VOICE FOR PATIENTS.COM - National Support Services... PULSEAmerica.org. Tel. 719-564-0280

http://www.ccfa.org/ - Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America

I will have to spend some time looking into this and with some assistance from you guys we might be able to take back our lives.

Sincerely,
Nicole

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
merrywidow said:
in the uk we cant get disability if we have crohns. we have to have some other illness/disease as well. crohns is not bad enough on its own to warrant the title.
That's ridiculous. I have Diabetes also. Maybe that would be better for them?? :)