• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need Bowel Prep advice ASAP

I am sitting in a hotel in the city where my GI has his practice. I am scheduled for a small bowel capsule endoscopy in the morning, and since I live 2 hours from here, thought it would be easier to check in, do my prep, and drive the less than 2 miles to his office in the a.m.

I have never used GoLytely for prep before as my previous GI used different stuff. I have managed to get down the whole gallon, over 4 1/2 hours (handout said it should take about 3 hours, but I simply could not hold the volume without being near vomiting), and that the first BM would happen about an hour after I started drinking.

I have only had 2 soft BM's about 2 hours after I started drinking, and I am distended like I'm 7 months pregnant. I have no urge to go, some mild cramping, and I feel like a beached whale. I don't want to have to reschedule this. What can I do to get things moving? I have tried walking around the room, massaging my stomach, etc. I followed all the prep instructions to a T. Didn't eat anything after lunch, started drinking at 5:30 PM, finished close to 10PM.

Help!!!

Lisa

Oh Lisa- I am so sorry!! I just did that last month when I was admitted with bleeding. Does your ins company have a nurses hotline? Look on the back of your Ins card. Ours does and I would call them. Otherwise call the local ER , they may answer your questions. Good luck!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
It can sometimes take a few hours to fully work its "magic." Chances are you have some narrowing and the solution is backing up in that one spot. So far so good if you're keeping it down though but if you start vomiting instead of sitting on the toilet nonstop then I agree that you may want to contact an ER doc to see if you should come in. I've vomited before but it was only once and that was due to the volume I was trying to hold down. You will feel bloated and will have some cramping but it should work its way through even if its a few hours later.

are you drinking water between as well? Try to drink some water. Do belly rubs s long as possible. Begin at the right side, up around the belly button around left side and back down around to the right. A Chinese doc showed me this. It helps massage the ascending and descending colon and rub gently until you feel things moving along (sounds, gas relief) and can increase pressure, if need be. Since you are only beginning, go gently. I would also be concerned if you have a blockage. I'd call the doc's office (emergency operator in docs office will probably forward you to doc) and give him a heads up, if you are still not moving....

I am at the point where I am not supposed to have anything else by mouth. Been rubbing the belly, walking around. Would try a warm bath, but i am in a handicapped hotel room with shower only. Feeling like I am in labor. Just dull ache with occasional sharp pains/cramps. Stomach is tight as a drum. Last time it was like this, I pushed out a huge baby. I passed a bit more but it was skinny as a pencil, and not much. The majority of the bloating/tautness is in the upper abdomen. The handout from the doc said diarrhea should stop an hour after I finish drinking the stuff. That was 2 hours ago and it hasn't even started yet. This is so frustrating.

Thanks for the heads up on the directional belly rub. Will start it now and see what gives.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Ya sounds like a narrowing for sure. At least things are still passing through though. Keep us updated.

I have RELEASED THE KRAKEN!! Thanks to all. The massage really helped. Now I am dog tired but afraid to sleep lol.

I did call the local ER nurse helpline. My hotel is very near the hospital. She said "GoLytely" is a misnomer, and there's nothing light or easy about it. She wondered if he had me take Dulcolax before the prep. My last GI did, and I think I will do my own prep from now on, since I know what works for my body.

Thank you all so much for such prompt and helpful responses!

Lisa

Was up all night passing gnarly river water, no where near clear like they want for the scope. I accidentally fell asleep between visits to the loo, and full-on shat the bed at the Holiday Inn. Just showered and called the front desk for housekeeping. I am beyond mortified. I am going to burn my pajamas and suggest they do same with all the bedding.

I was kind of glad I wasn't at home on my nice $$$ memory foam mattress that would be impossible to clean. My pride is apparently cheaper than my bed at home ;-)

Hun, if you've got any pride left, you're doing better than most, and definitely better than me!

The first time I met my newest GI, I had just come from the restroom in the office, not the public one down the corridor. My mom told him I had just been vomiting & had terrible diarrhea right before he came in. He said, "Here, just now, in the bathroom?" like he was surprised.

I was like, this is a GI office and I have Crohn's disease. Did you think I was in there knitting a sweater?!?!

I am home and the purge is finally stopping. Now I wait for the doc to watch the cool movie (popcorn optional lol). Thank you all again for all the quick and helpful responses, and the tea and sympathy in general.

Lisa