• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need diet plan and recipes for Crohn's-during flares and between flares

I'm the mother of 2 IBD children. My son had UC and his colon removed at the age of 14(18 yrs ago) and my daugher was diagnosed at the age of 19 (6 months ago) with Crohn's. She has struggled the past 5 months, I mean, really struggled. She's a student at U of MN, pre-med. Doctors will not recommend dietary changes, so with a recent flare, she went on a liquid diet and it helped. She's trying to get off prednisone and it's terrible side effects and started Remicade in May. I am trying to put together a dietary and recipe book for her, so it will be easy for her to plan and shop for meals. I'd appreciate any meal plans or recipes which follow recommendations for Crohn's diets. It's not easy in college to devote oneself to a restrictive diet. Dr's are so quick to recommend more prednisone, but it sure seems like a bandaide. Thanks for any advice!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi debimri and welcome to the forum! :D

That's unfortunate that their GI at least didn't mention a diet during flares to help reduce symptoms. :( My pediatric GI 22 years ago told me to try the Low Residue diet and even sent me to a nutritionist. To this day during flares, the low residue diet still helps reduce my symptoms so I stick with it during flares. During remission though I do not follow any particular diet. If you have a Trader Joe's near you (or if they live near one) they have a lot of healthy items that are low residue. If either are soda fans the Hansen's brand is pretty good (I think so anyway as regular sodas have a lot of salt in them). I don't have any particular recipes to share but one of the things I like to make is boneless skinless chicken breast marinated in lemon juice then add a little salt and a little pepper (not a lot or any if you can't handle it) and bake it until its done the way you like it (I like dry chicken personally), have Jasmine rice on the side with a little butter and either a yam with lemon, tiny bit of butter, salt and pepper or cooked spinach seasoned the same way.

You may also want to look into EN (Enteral nutrition) http://www.crohnsforum.com/wiki/Enteral-nutrition for your daughter to try. Liquid diets can be beneficial but you have to make sure that you're getting enough nutrients.

Even though your children have grown up you can still benefit from these sections below:
You can check out the Parents of Kids with IBD here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49
There's also the Diet/Cooking for Kids with IBD here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=268

This is so nice to be able to talk to someone about my daughter's Crohns. I feel so isolated and I know she does too. Your comments will be taken to heart and links provided will be researched. Bless you for responding and may you have easy days ahead!!