• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need Help Deciphering Pathology Report

Here is what my pathology report came back with:

Stomach, antrum and body specimen: Gastric antral and oxyntic mucosa showing foci or acute and chronic inflammation
Terminal ileum: fragments of granulation tissue and exudate
Colon, right: Focal active colitis and detached fragments of granulaiton tissue and exudate
Colon, left: Colonic mucosa with focal neutrophils in the lamina propria
Colon, rectum: Active colitis with detached fragment of granulation tissue

Negative for H. pylori and cytomegalovirus

Pathology note: The biopsies show a decrease in the number of lymphocytes and plasma cells in the lamina propria. This has been noted in prior specimens and is compatible with the history of CVID.

My GI doctor told me I had inflammation of the terminal ileuem, and strictures consistent with Crohn's Disease. This was right after the colonoscopy and I didn't have the wherewithal to ask any follow-up questions. I was still impaired from the anesthesia, if you know what I mean.

Can anyone decipher this for me? I don't have a medical background.

All,
Even though my background is in accounting, I sat down with a medical dictionary and came up with the following:

Stomach, antrum and body specimen: Gastric antral and oxyntic mucosa showing foci or acute and chronic inflammation
Stomach, base of stomach and stomach lining showing areas of acute and chronic inflammation

Terminal ileum: fragments of granulation tissue and exudate
Fragments of healing areas and liquid seeping from tissue damage

Colon, right: Focal active colitis and detached fragments of granulaiton tissue and exudate
Areas of unusual tissue actively inflammed showing fragments of healing tissue and and liquid seeping from tissue damage

Colon, left: Colonic mucosa with focal neutrophils in the lamina propria
Colon mucosa with areas of white blood cells from tissue damage or infection in the second layer (out of three) of the mucosa structure. This indicates the lesions are not superficial.

Colon, rectum: Active colitis with detached fragment of granulation tissue
Active Crohn's disease with detached fragments of healing tissue.

The healing tissue part makes sense. I was really sick about six weeks ago. I couldn't eat and felt like I was going to throw up all the time. I lost ten pounds in about a week.

Scipio

I agree with what you worked out using the medical dictionary except I'm not so sure that "granulation" specifically means healing in this context. It may refer to the presence of granuloma - a concentrated spot of a certain type of white blood cell. Granulomas are considered to be highly diagnostic of Crohn's disease - as opposed to other causes of inflammation in the bowel.

Also, when the report uses the term "foci" it means that whatever it is referring to was concentrated into discrete spots rather than diffusely spread all over.