• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need Help Deciphering What my GI has Written Here

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
This is on my lab work orders but I have no idea what the numbers mean especially the last one. Is the 787.3 my CRP? Is that bad?

Says:

Diagnosis: Crohn's Disease- Small and Large Intestine- S/P Resection 8 inches terminal ileum and cecum (555.9) Bloating and some Flatulence. Eructation and diarrhea. R/O bacterial overgrowth. Suspect Crohn's in clinical remission despite elevated CRP (787.3).

I believe the bacterial overgrowth is an assumption on his part based on what I said one day so he said I was most likely growing bad bacteria at the resection site since my bowel is no longer smooth and straight (so to speak) and has a lip where the bacteria gets caught and collects. Dunno if that's even true.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Small and Large Intestine- S/P Resection 8 inches terminal ileum and cecum (555.9)
S/P - means status post. So your history and the (555.9) is a diagnosis code - Regional Enteritis (Ileal Crohn's)

As Nic said, R/O is rule out, so he wants to rule out bacterial overgrowth as a cause of your diarrhoea, farting and burping. His explanation of what could be happening at the resection site sounds plausibale enough.

Your CRP reading is extremely high, given that the highest normal reference range I have seen is <12. Matt at his worst was about 370. If you are clinically in remission then it would seem you have inflammation going on somewhere. Aside from your gut were you otherwise well when they took the bloods?

Dusty. xxx

I'd phone the docs surgery and ask them to clarify your CRP there's no way it should be that high unless you've suffered major trauma maybe it's another code or they've got the decimal point wrong but if it is that high I'd get them to look into treating it. Good luck

DustyKat

Super Moderator
maybe it's another code
Good call Archie! I looked that one up and there is a code for that number...lo and behold it's!...

787.3 Flatulence, eructation, and gas pain.

So it all fits. Best get the CRP level from the blood result form. :)

Dusty. xxx

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
That's what I was wondering if it just another code. A dumb code imo because that's only based off of one appointment with him not listening to me well. The actual number should be there imo.

I was feeling fine when I had the blood work done.