• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need help in understanding remission

Hello everyone :) I have a question in my mind..Before for many years i used to feel uneasy as i felt my stomach not being cleared.But no other problem. I went in for colonoscopy last year because i passed very little blood while passing stool. Then i was diagnosed having Crohn's Disease :( I had been on Pentasa 2 tabs thrice daily for about 3 to 4 months. Now it has come down to one tab thrice daily along with Probiotics. The Probiotics help me a lot. My doctor told me to take the Probiotic cautiously because she does't want me to get constipated. Meanwhile i consulted another doctor who told i am in remission right now when i asked him what remission is. All i want to ask is if i am in remission now, is the this the closest normal condition i ever will be? Because i am still feeling my stomach not being cleared and have to take bathroom stops 4 to 5 times a day and 3 times if i am home on holidays. I have not passed blood while passing stool for many months now and don't have any stomach pain. But i do feel uneasy a bit after passing stool but the situation improves after an hour or so. Bloating is also there. So please help me...

There different definitions of remission. There is clinical remission where lab work look good and you have few symptoms. Then endoscopic remission where visually with scope your bowel looks clear from inflammation, then histological remission where there is no activity at the cellular level as seen by microscope. A lot of GIS aim for all 3 now as that is considered full mucosal healing and leads to less surgery and longer periods of full remission without symptoms. For a long time clinical remission was the goal but they have realized low level inflammation can still cause scar tissue and permanent damage.

You can have full remission but still be experiencing issues due to long term damage and scar tissue which can only be taken care of through surgery.