• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need help

I have a delicate question. I've had a fissure for a long time, now, and it bleeds and hurts and I can deal with it. Right where that is, a hard lump developed and I began having some pus and blood mixed together. It hurt constantly until it started discharging and now it feels better and the lump is smaller. I imagine I've developed an anal abscess. My question is, is it absolutely necessary to see my GI for this? If it's draining, now, will it heal up on its own? I've read that abscesses can create fistulas and that's the only reason I'm thinking of making an appointment but I really, really don't want to go to the doctor. I'm so sick of having something wrong that I would like to bury my head in the sand on this one. Any advice you could give would be very much appreciated!

I'm with AlliRuns on this one, Sybil. An abscess can turn nasty very quickly and it would be better if the doc sees it to check if that's likely and hopefully nip things in the bud.

Sending you support.:ghug::ghug:
I am sure you are so tired of not feeling well and going to the doctors again :yfrown::yfrown:, but you have to take care of yourself and dont let it damage your body any more.

thinking of you and wishing the best

Thanks, everyone! I guess I need to face facts and pull my big girl pants up and take care of this problem. I was really hoping since it was feeling better it would go away on its own. :(

Do you have a low grade fever? aches? eating okay?
Probably should keep a journal of daily symptoms to tell doctor.

Let us know what the GI says.

wishing the best.

Hi Julie! My hip aches but I don't have a fever. I'm eating fine and it just hurts to sit and when I go to the bathroom. I called to talk to my GI's nurse and she told me to go to the ER. I said, "I really don't want to do that." I could understand going to the ER if I had a fever, but I don't. It just hurts which I can handle just fine--I just don't want any complications from not taking care of it. So she's going to consult my doctor and call me back. Keep your fingers crossed for me that he doesn't insist on the ER. :)

I know our E.R. does an automatic cat scan, can start you on a steroid and antibiotics if necessary.

Now the question is, does that cat scan show fistulas, abscesses? I will do some research to find out. If so, and you have good insurance, this might be the way to go. Not good to get very many scans because of radiation, but in your case it sounds necessary.

I did some research, and from what I saw, the Cat Scan will show your abscess/or developing fistula. Hopefully some others who have gone through this will add more comments.....

I heard back from the GI covering for my normal GI and he's calling in some Flagyl and he wants me to see my surgeon to see if it needs to be lanced. But at least I don't have to go to the ER. I haven't taken Flagyl in forever--does it increase diarrhea and nausea? I really hope not.

My daughter took it for 3 months x2 and each time she did fine with it.
It was a fairly low dose.
Good to hear your getting help.

I know our E.R. does an automatic cat scan, can start you on a steroid and antibiotics if necessary.

Now the question is, does that cat scan show fistulas, abscesses? I will do some research to find out. If so, and you have good insurance, this might be the way to go. Not good to get very many scans because of radiation, but in your case it sounds necessary.

I did some research, and from what I saw, the Cat Scan will show your abscess/or developing fistula. Hopefully some others who have gone through this will add more comments.....
I've never had a CT scan done for fistulas. In fact, the one and only time I went to the ER for a fistula (and I didn't know it was a fistula at the time, I didn't even know what a fistula was), I was told to not wear tight pants and was given penicillin.

I heard back from the GI covering for my normal GI and he's calling in some Flagyl and he wants me to see my surgeon to see if it needs to be lanced. But at least I don't have to go to the ER. I haven't taken Flagyl in forever--does it increase diarrhea and nausea? I really hope not.
Flagyl gives me wicked nausea and vomiting. Never noticed increased diarrhea on it though.

Thanks, everyone! If it causes vomiting, I won't be taking it. He put me on a two week course, two times a day. I just took my first dose and took phenergan because I was nauseous just from the Crohn's so hopefully that will help if I develop nausea from the flagyl.

If it's not one thing with Crohn's, it's another.

I am still waiting to see the surgeon. My GI wanted me to go to the ER so I ended up doing that and they said to wait for the surgeon. They gave some norco and drained a lot of it by the exam itself. It filled up again and I woke up covered in bloody pus. It is pretty damn painful. At least I don't have a fever. My appointment's tomorrow--I hope he can help with another antibiotic because I had to stop the flagyl because of vomiting.

Sybil,
So sorry to hear about the flagyl not working. Sure seems like the GI could prescribe you a different antibiotic if you call their office today.

Are you on other meds too? Biologicals, 6mp, or Asacol? I hope your GI helps you keep your IBD under control so you dont develop another abscess/fissure.

Let us know what the surgeon says tomorrow.

I take Humira to keep most of the Crohn's in check although I do experience break through flares. I was on once weekly until developing some pretty bad nerve and bone pain so I'm back to biweekly. I was on Remicade for almost four years.

The surgeon called and had me come in today. She insisted I take Flagyl and is adding Cipro. She said she would give me half of the dose (cutting it from 500 mg to 250) and she expects that it will help the nastiest side effects. I hate that in order to heal this abscess, I have to endure the side effects of Flagyl and Cipro which will increase my time in the toilet. I don't react well to antibiotics and avoid them if at all possible. I hate that once again the cure is a nasty one. It's very hard to remain positive.

I think cutting the flagyl in half may make all the difference. That is the level Baylee was taking with no side effects (250mg) I am sure they told you to take with food, and maybe take a probiotic at different time as the antibiotic to fight off yeast infections.

I am so glad they were able to see you today. I know when you feel so sick, it is hard to be positive about anything. Are you doing this alone?
It seems like you are on the right track to getting things taken care of.

Thanks so much, Julie, for your support. It's helpful to talk to someone who understands.

I am very fortunate to have a supportive and loving husband. When I called him crying because I was overwhelmed and feeling miserable, he told me to buy whatever I wanted which made me laugh. I never cry so he probably panicked. Hmmm, I could probably get away with a new Michael Kors bag...

Seriously, though, I am able to rest and go to bed and ride this thing out with the help of my husband. My children are 11 and 13 and are very independent so they're fine if I'm in bed. I just hate being out of commission and feeling sicker than I already do. The surgeon was very kind--the first time I've seen her (my regular surgeon is out of town)--but was firm on the treatment plan. I feel confident that she knows what she's doing and I guess I need to act like an adult and take the damn Flagyl and Cipro. :)

Sybil, the Michaels Kor bag sounds good to me :) What a sweet husband. You do deserve to treat yourself.

flagyl: Can you take it with something to help with nausea, i am all about comfort!!

P.S. I love the picture of your fat cat. we have one that looks almost just like him/her Her name is Oreo :)

thinking of you and hoping you heal quickly.

Last edited:
Thanks, Julie! I have Zofran and phenergan so I'll be sure to take that. It looks like she wants me to take 250 mg three times a day instead of the 500 I was on twice a day. I really hope it works.

The kitty in the picture is Mittens. She loves laying like that and I can't help but touch the belly stripe and get bitten for it. :) Oreo is a great name!

Sybil, let us know how you do with the new dose....
They need to get you feeling well!!!

Our Oreo is more of a lover than a fighter. she cuddles on my husbands lap every time he sits down. and our dog follows me around and cuddles with me... it is quite funny.

talk soon and hope you have a great day