• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need Serious Energy Boost

Hi All

I was just wondering if any of you have any ideas of what I could take to improve my energy. I am due to go back to work next week, I have been off for the past 3 weeks including this one with a flare, My crohn's symptoms are getting under control but my iron levels are very low - the doctor told me today my ferretin they were barely even registering. I am taking iron supplements and doing everything i can by eating healthy, my fridge has never looked so good. I am also juicing veg for extra energy and iron. But I am still so so tired. And I am back to work next week where I teach adults and I just know I don't have an the energy to do it :(. But bills must be paid. Any of you have any tips on how I can give myself a boost?

I'm probably not the most helpful today as this has been my hardest day since I was DX . However , I will try . I really think that vitamin B12 injections work wonders. The supplement isn't enough. Your Dr. Should be able to set those up for you. Sending you positive thoughts.

I have found when I am not feeling good getting 9+ hours of sleep a night is a MUST. No excuses, I force myself to go to bed as early as I have to. I also have found light, and I mean very light, exercise can help. If I have time before work in the morning, I do a quick round of yoga. I try to get up from my desk at least once an hour, I drink tea in the morning and have an apple in the afternoon. I also drink a lot of water, and try to focus my energy on doing those things than thinking about how tired I am. My doctor also just put me on B12 injections, I will be starting next week. I have heard they work wonders with energy levels. Just stay positive, get as much rest as you can. You will bounce back!

I agree with both Laura Dawn and rkoll327. Monthly B-12 injections have been my saving grace. I even grew a pair and asked the GI if I could just do them at home, rather than driving 40 minutes roundtrip for a five minute office visit. It's super cheap, too -- at least with my insurance. I got a 10-month supply for about $2, plus an additional $2 total for syringes.

From what I've read, it's fairly common for people with Crohn's to be B-12 deficient, especially if you've had a resection. Apparently B-12 is absorbed in your ileum, which is like the most commonly affection portion of your intestines. Odds are, you're not absorbing any B-12 from the food you're eating. If you're on oral supplements, you're probably not absorbing enough (if any) of that either. The injection will put the B-12 right into your system. I usually feel it within an hour after my injection. Good luck!

Thanks all of you, i haven't had my b12 levels checked, but the bloods i sent in yesterday have a full iron profile so hopefully they will see what that is, they had only checked hg levels, iron and ferretin but not B12. But in the short term is there anything at all? Like some great energy drink!!!

Yes I have taken ensure before, i am eating very well though and they usually only prescribe it if you have completely lost your appetite, whereas I am eating 4 or 5 small meals a day.

What is a proteinogram is that a Full blood count - because I had one of them done Wednesday, waiting for results. I know my iron is very low I am taking supplements but I have been all along too but my iron is still low. My GI said I did not need iron injections that it will start to come up once the bleeding from my bowel gets under control which it is now since i started remicade. There is only a tidy bit of blood now.

braveheart

Passionate Dreamer
Proteinogram checks the values of albumin and alpha and beta globulin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albumin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globulin

You also have another indicator:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serum_total_protein

And the one you already mention, the Red Cell Count, included into the Complete blood count

What I understand is having these values in order means your nutrition is good, despite of Crohn Disease.

If your food intake is ok, you could go just for the vitamins.
From time to time I take a pill containing vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants. I need no prescription for it. It contains: B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B8, B9, B12, C, and E. And also Zinc, Selenium, Magnesium, Iron, Ginkgo, Ginseng and Guaraná. My guess is you get something like this in Ireland.

You could check what I am saying with your doctor first.

Try juicing no fibre and you get all the nutrients i love juicing now but stopped for a few days as i felt really well then noticed i felt depleted when istopped oh and a centrifugal juicer makes a big diffrence to taste and amount of juice

Proteinogram checks the values of albumin and alpha and beta globulin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albumin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globulin

You also have another indicator:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serum_total_protein

And the one you already mention, the Red Cell Count, included into the Complete blood count

What I understand is having these values in order means your nutrition is good, despite of Crohn Disease.

If your food intake is ok, you could go just for the vitamins.
From time to time I take a pill containing vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants. I need no prescription for it. It contains: B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B8, B9, B12, C, and E. And also Zinc, Selenium, Magnesium, Iron, Ginkgo, Ginseng and Guaraná. My guess is you get something like this in Ireland.

You could check what I am saying with your doctor first.
Thanks for that I will ask my doctor about those tests on Monday :)

Try juicing no fibre and you get all the nutrients i love juicing now but stopped for a few days as i felt really well then noticed i felt depleted when istopped oh and a centrifugal juicer makes a big diffrence to taste and amount of juice
Now that you mention it, I was juicing last week and maybe felt a little better. Thanks I'll start doing this again.