• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need some advice about Humira

I'm supposed to be starting Humira soon and I'm pretty nervous/anxious/excited. I was just wondering how others responded to it. I know everyone is different and these medicines affect us all differently. I heard you can feel like you have the flu for a few days after. I have 3 kids to chase after so I'm hoping this won't keep me out for days. Any advice or support is greatly appreciated. I'm new to this site and I'm so glad I found it. I'm the only one in my family with Crohn's so it's nice to hear and read about people who understand what I'm going through.

afidz

Super Moderator
Hi Casey and welcome!
I personally didn't have any side effects when I was on Humira and it did wonders for me. But like you already mentioned everyone is different. I am going to give you the link to the Humira support group, there are tons of people in there that are currently on it and might be able to give you some better insight
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=6500

Hi CaseyC

I have been on Humira for almost a month I finished my starter pack 2 weeks ago and my Dr just changed the RX every week I took it today I'm tired and feel achy all over but only have gone to the bathroom 3 times today!!!

Thanks for the response! lblair, does the actual shot hurt? I've heard the needle doesn't, but the medicine going in does. I hope the medicine helps you and gives you the relief you need!

afidz

Super Moderator
Thanks for the response! lblair, does the actual shot hurt? I've heard the needle doesn't, but the medicine going in does. I hope the medicine helps you and gives you the relief you need!
It doesn't feel good, but if you ice the spot before you do it its not so bad, and you get used to it. Good thing is you never have to see the needle.

I had my first shot on Tuesday. I honestly didn't find it to hurt, just a bit uncomfortable for a few seconds when the meds went in. I'm using the pen instead of suringe, so wonder if one is more painful than the other. I guess it all depends on your pain tolerance as well. The only thing, I've been exhausted since, sleeping more than usual and have to force myself out of bed.
Do you have the option to have someone look after the kids for a few days, or even go help you and maybe let you sleep in? I know I would of had a hard time if we didn't have daycare. Hope all goes well.

My doctor ordered it to be delivered to their office so I'll be injected there. It's not the pen so I'll have to see if it's different pain wise. My mom is going to come out and help while I start this. SylvieA, I'm looking forward to reading to see if this helps you out! Thanks guys for responding back. I've exhausted all other meds and I'm anxious to see if this helps me.

CaseyC

Yes they hurt I used the starter pack and then switch to the pre filled Syringes yesterday was the first syringe I must say it was a little better still stings but not as bad!!! Today is a good day so far tired and aches and pains but only one trip to the bathroom!!!!

Good luck

I just started on it as well. did the first 4 at the dr's office and i think they were a bit cold when we did them cause it was pretty unpleasant. by the 4th one though it wasn't as bad. i did feel pretty wiped out till about 4 o'clock the following day but not nearly as horrible as i felt when i had my first remicade. did the second round about a week ago, the 2 shots myself, and made sure they were at room temp and they were still no thrill but much better. it has not done much for me yet and i am hoping that it isn't what is causing my sleep cycle problems. i have been waking up around 3am (230 this morning) but believe its the steroid i have been on for way too long.
i was a bit on edge to start them myself but figure they can't be any worse then what we all deal with about everyday. crohnies are the toughest bunch! probably cause we have no other choice.