• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need some advice please

Hi all

I've posted on the forum a couple of times before.

A quick outline of my situation. Was diagnosed 10+ years ago with IBS!

Last September, I started feeling ill with stomach pains, nausea, d, etc etc, it seems to me that I have many of the crohns symptoms.

I went back and forward to my Doctor and finally got referred to a gastro consultant. I had a colonoscopy in March. This showed inflammation and small ulcers in my small intestine. Biopsies were taken and these came back as normal. In her letter, the consultant said the bowel prep could've caused the inflammation and ulcers?! (Myself I couldn't see how that could happen literally overnight!)

Consultant then referred me for an MRI, which I had in May. The results of that say that there is no sign of crohns.

The past few days I have felt the worst I ever have, can't move as no energy, my body feels like it weighs a tonne, just want to sleep, bad stomach pains and bad nausea.

I really don't know what to do next. I am literally at my wits end with feeling so ill and not getting closer to what is going on with me.

I have had the stool test which came back normal. I am fed up of hearing the word normal as I feel far from it.

I would really appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Emma x

Emma,

I would get a copy of those results, with the pictures.
It could be Crohns, but hopefully not. Deep ulcers usually mean Crohns, from what I have heard.

I am sorry you are having such issues. Both my daughters are and have had lots of gastrointestinal issues. One was diagnosed with Crohns/Ulcerative Colitis. The other is kind of in the same boat as you: undiagnosed with lots of health issues. she recently found out she is completely allergic to dairy products, wheat products. After eliminating those, she continues to have problems.

My suggestion is to get another GI opinion and possibly consider a Natural path. Starting with a food allergy test is good too. Our girls are currently on the anti inflammatory diet which is basically eliminates most foods people are allergic to.
I can tell you more about it if you are interested.

Just know you will get lots of support on this site and find good information. You are not alone and go with your own instincts. You are your best and maybe only advocate and know your own body better than anyone.

Keep in touch and I hope you find out what is going on!!

Lady Organic

Staff member
Hi Emma,

are you going to have a fallow up with the gastroenterologist who found ''unexplained ulcers and inflammation''? I suggest you do your best to meet that doctor again for further discussion.

In the mean time, i'd recommend reading this book written by a PhD on nutrition and inflammatory chronic diseases:

http://49thshelf.com/Books/T/The-End-of-Pain2

Its a diet that helps helps for IBS and crohns and many other inflammatory chronic diseases.

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome to the community.

As strange as it sounds, the bowel prep CAN cause inflammation, even overnight.

I DO believe that something isn't right, but let's hope it's not Crohn's!

When you say you had the stool test, was it the fecal calprotectin?

All my best to you.