• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need your Advice Please.

Hello Everyone

Is there any one with Crohns colitis (Colonic Crohns disease)?

And what medication they are taking and it works?

Also, any idea on how good Asacol and rowasa works for colonic crohns disease?

Any experience with Turmeric and how good it works?

Thanks in advance.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello, welcome to the forum

We have a number of members with inflammation in the colon.

Treatment varies from person to person, what works for one may not work for another, so it's usually a case of trial and error.

Asacol is one of the most mild medications used in crohns disease, it is sometimes favoured over others because it has less side effects and is regarded as very safe. Rowasa is from the same group of medications . If you are finding that you are getting very little relief or if your test results are not improving then you may need to consider other medications such as a short course of steroids to help boost the medications you are on. It may mean that you need to change to an immunosuppressive medication if this doesn't help. As I said, everyone is different, so it depends what works for you.

I've not had any experience with turmeric so I can't help there.

What are your current symptoms?

I was diagnosed with Crohn's Colitis but has since moved all through me w/ulcers in the terminal ileum and in the rectum. I think they label you when they first find it, at least they did me.

To valleysangel

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

I have been on these medications both if them for 14 months and on remission ever since.

My gi said you don't need any immune suppression right now because ur disease is mild.

Will add when these meds no longer works for you.

But my question is I'm in clinical remission. I also heard that u still can be active inside?

So how true is that? And if I'm active inside but no symptoms than what's the next step?

Thanks

Carrolloc

Thanks for the reply.

How severe was ur crohns when they put u on those meds

I know I have heard a lot of good things about humira, but what about the side effects are they worth it?

Thanks

I have crohns colitis, and have used most of the meds up the ladder starting with Asacol. Developed pancreatitis from most of the meds I tried. The only ones I can tolerate are prednisone for as short a span as possible and methotrexate. Had a 5 yr remission with methotrexate, was off all meds for 4 years! Now back on MTX but not tolerating nearly as well. Side effects are pretty rough this time, maybe just that I'm 10 years older? Best of luck, I hope yours stays mild!

Last edited:

valleysangel92

Staff member
To valleysangel

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

I have been on these medications both if them for 14 months and on remission ever since.

My gi said you don't need any immune suppression right now because ur disease is mild.

Will add when these meds no longer works for you.

But my question is I'm in clinical remission. I also heard that u still can be active inside?

So how true is that? And if I'm active inside but no symptoms than what's the next step?

Thanks
I'm so glad to hear that you are in remission.

Clinical remission generally means that there is no active inflammation, did you have any tests done to confirm remission or was it just based on your symptoms?

Crohns disease can relapse (come back) and sometimes this is without symptoms at first, regular blood tests to check for signs of inflammation can be a good way to keep an eye on things. Keep appointments with your GI and always tell them if you have any concerns. Even the slightest change can be an indicator that something is brewing inside.

By the time we discovered that I reacted badly to every drug I was pretty severe. Remicade has been a life saver. For the first time in 10 years I feel normal.

To valleysangel92

Thanks for the info.

I have spoke to my GI regarding doing more test like, CRP, Sedimentation Rate, and stool test for inflammation markers, but he says no point doing it.

He said he will only treat u if ur having symptoms, not by the test results.

Is this normal for a doc to say this?

Thanks

valleysangel92

Staff member
To valleysangel92

Thanks for the info.

I have spoke to my GI regarding doing more test like, CRP, Sedimentation Rate, and stool test for inflammation markers, but he says no point doing it.

He said he will only treat u if ur having symptoms, not by the test results.

Is this normal for a doc to say this?

Thanks
So just to clarify, your doctor has said you are in remission based on your symptoms getting better and not based on test results improving?

To be honest, each doctor will have a different approach, some will do basic tests periodically to keep an eye on things and some will only do them if you are displaying symptoms. Just make sure that if you do develop symptoms, your doctor does some investigations to see how severe things are and where the inflammation is located as this can change.