• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need your thoughts

I have been reading this forum for about six months now while going through massive amounts of testing for everything under the sun.

I am a business teacher at a high school in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvana. I was exposed to very large amounts of toxic black mold for a four-year period. Needless to say, I became very ill will an upper respiratory illness. I was given 11 different courses of antibiotics over a six month period. One of which I took every day for two months straight. While taking other antibiotics?

That was August 2011, I am still not back to work. The school still leaks and has mold problems. I know have allergies, chronic rhinunitis and asthma from the exposure in addition to a bunch of neurological problems, migraines and four herniated disks in my thoracic spine from coughing when I was sick.

I am going on May 3rd to be tested for IBD because of severe shingle-like pain in the left flank area of my back along with the running to the bathroom for about two hours straight every morning. I can't leave my house - don't forget the fatigue which I take 400mg of Provigal that does not put a dent in it, severe pain in my left shoulder when I eat! B12 deficiency, and rhaynauds in my hands and feet.

What are you thoughts? I hope you are not upset I posted without being diagnosed officially. But I am sure this is my problem. They have ruled out every other autoimmune disease there is (other then MS which i already have been diagnosed with in 2000, but now say they don't think I have) the blood work and carpal tunnel are leading them to believe I have one some where?

I guess the real questions here are:

Does anyone have information about mold exposure and Crohn's?
Antibiotics and Crohn's?
Lesions in the brain and Crohn's?

Hi Tatahead! Welcome to the forum. Please never be sorry for posting! There are lots of people here that are undiagnosed and need support.

I don't really have any answers for you, but I just wanted to say Welcome. I'm sure there will be people who can come along and answer some of your questions. I really hope they figure out whats going on for you so you can get to feeling better! :)

Hello Tatahead,

Thank you sharing your story with us and I'm really sorry that you are having such a hard time, apart from your actual symptoms the testing that's needed is also very tiring. Please don't worry about posting here, we are only to happy to try and help, this is the link to the undiagnosed sub-forum, it might be worth having a rummage around it to see if anyone else has had similar experiences, http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

From what I understand, if the terminal ileum is affected then Vitamin B12 deficiency might happen. I myself experience diarrhea, multiple joint pains, pain in my small bowel area and also in the region of the terminal ileum.

I'm sorry that I can't answer the specific questions you asked and as I am not a Dr I would be very reluctant to suggest a diagnosis :( I'm sorry I cant help you very much but I do hope that you get your answer very soon from your Dr and from the tests. Good luck and best wishes. :ghug::ghug:

Ps. Welcome to the forum, please come back and let us know how you get on.

Thank you very much for you support! I will do that for sure. I was looking around, and saw others that that have a lot of the same issues as myself; I.e., possible MS (lesions but not in the right spots), no lupus markers but elevated ANA and so on.