• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Needing help

I found out I had Crohn's in 2012 due to severe pain. I had a bowel resection and 24"s of my small intestine removed. For over two years I never had any problems concerning the Crohn's. I take shots of Humira every two weeks and have for 3 years.

Starting in Jan of 2015 the pain returned. I was hospitalized and they found a stricture in my bowel. Three days later is was gone and I checked out of the hospital.

I have been in the hospital 8 times this year due to scar tissue. I had surgery in May and the doc said I had several adhesions that he cut loose. I also have mesh in my stomach and my bowel had grown to the mesh in 3 spots. After this surgery I was fine for 7 weeks then the pain returned.

Presently I have been living off of Mirilax, Ducolax, and pain pills when I cant stand the pain. I called for an ambulance on the 19th of Nov and was taken to the ER. After a cat scan the doc said I had a partial bowel obstruction and wanted to admit me. I had an MR Enterography scheduled for the 23rd of this month at a different hospital so I checked myself out. I got the results today from the MR Enterography and they were negative. My GI doc said this was not a Crohn's issue and to call my surgeon or go to the Mayo clinic. He was happy to wash his hands free of my ongoing problems. Going to Mayo is out of the question for me.

I called and talked to my surgeon's nurse. She pulled up my records and said I've had 12 cat scans this year that showed a blockage. I told her I cannot eat due to stomach pain and distention. I also told her it would take 8-10 Ducolax pills to get what I ate to come out.

My question: Why do I get obstructions that show up on a pet scan then they are gone in 3-4 days? I have been very sick for almost 2 months straight and I cant keep living like this. Has anyone else had an experience like this? My surgeon told me after my surgery in May that my small bowel was full of scar tissue. I think that is what's causing the problem but can't figure out why it did not show up on the MR Enterography

Any input would be appreciated

Last edited:

David

Co-Founder
Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about your struggles. My heart goes out to you.

There are a few people here who have experienced similar. Usually, the end result is more surgery :( Why didn't it show on the MRE? I'm not sure, but sometimes these things are misread.

I wish I had answers for you. :(

*hugs*