• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Needing some advice

Hello!

I've been having a rough few days lately, but today has been the worst. I'm on Humira and Pentasa and I've experienced some relief with them. I got brave, and I ate something I shouldn't have Saturday night. Ever since then I've been in the bed in pain. I haven't been able to eat much. I was feeling somewhat better this morning and tried to eat. I had stomach cramps this morning, and I thought it was from not eating. Mid way through the meal I started having severe stomach cramps, and then my lower right side (where my Crohn' s pain normally is) started to hurt. The receptionist at my GI's office said to go to the ER. I didn't go because I want to try some things before I go to the hospital. The pain comes and goes, and I had some broth and I didn't cramp as bad as before.

My questions are, has a liquid diet helped keep anyone from the ER or being admitted, also what else has anyone tried??

Sounds like you should go to the ER especially if there is and chance you could have a blockage. But in the meantime the most important thing is keeping your fluid intake up so you dont get dehydrated. Being dehydrated can lead to a fever and then it gets hard to find out what the real problem is as Dr think you have an infection of some kind. You can be ok only having very little food for quite some time as long as you get enough fluid. Needs to be more than just water though, some of the sports drinks are good or you can get stuff from the phamacy.
This is only frendly advice im no expert, just talking from my personal experance
I am also on Humira and Pentasa.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon

Thanks liscol! I thought maybe a blockage, but I've never had one so not sure what it feels like or what happens. I do have a stricture, but haven't had any issues. I am able to keep food down, and liquids do not give me any issues, just when I eat something solid I get stomach cramps.

Bufford

Chew food well, keep portions small. Its better to eat 4 smaller meals a day instead of 3 larger ones. Keep well hydrated and drink lots of water. Avoid seeds, and cook vegetables well done. Avoid known triggers.