• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Negative lactose intolerance but...

Hi I have Crohn's disease of the small bowel (terminal ileum and duodenum).

Diarrhoea has never been one of my symptoms.

I had a lactose intolerance test and this was negative but generally I rarely consume much dairy.

I've been prescribed ensure to gain weight and after having one each morning very soon afterwards I have an episode of diarrhoea. If I don't have one it doesn't happen. I don't understand why this is happening when my test was negative? I also ate a load of cream last night and then it happened again. Yet I am OK with yogurt.

Welcome. I had read that Ensure has an ingredient called carrageenan that can affect some people negatively. You may want to ask your doctor about it. Best to you.

Hi I have Crohn's disease of the small bowel (terminal ileum and duodenum).

Diarrhoea has never been one of my symptoms.

I had a lactose intolerance test and this was negative but generally I rarely consume much dairy.

I've been prescribed ensure to gain weight and after having one each morning very soon afterwards I have an episode of diarrhoea. If I don't have one it doesn't happen. I don't understand why this is happening when my test was negative? I also ate a load of cream last night and then it happened again. Yet I am OK with yogurt.
Read the ingredients of the dairy products. They often have stabilizers added such as carrageenan or guar gum. I am extremely sensitive to these and will have horrible diarrhea after eating. I have no problem with dairy but I read the label to make sure that there is nothing else hidden in there. About 90% of the cream at the grocery store has additives. I can't eat any cream based sauces or soups at restaurants or I will be in a world of hurt. Also try adding a little dairy at a time. If you rarely eat dairy you might have low levels of lactase(what digests lactose in milk). You may need some time for your body to produce more lactase enzyme. By slowly ramping up the amount of dairy you eat gives your body time.

Fat content can also cause diarrhea especially if you have difficulty with bile salt re-absorption. Ensure has a considerable amount, and cream does as well. Watch for it when consuming other high fat foods.

I found Fortisips ingredients list for vanilla online which I pasted below. You could try a little and see how your body reacts. It doesn't look as bad as some of other the liquid nutritional supplements. Everyone is different so you will just have to test it and see. One thing to note is it has Maltodextrin which as the link below states "studies using laboratory mice found that sugary maltodextrin promoted the growth of unhealthy bacteria, which damaged the intestine and increased the risk of inflammatory disease, according to a review in the journal PLoS One in July 2014. The consumption of maltodextrin has similar side effects and health risks as most food additives. These side effects include allergic reactions, unexplained weight gain, bloating and flatulence. Specific allergic reactions associated with the use of maltodextrin include rash, asthma, itching and difficulty breathing" But this is probably very dependent on amount consumed. As Shamrock mentioned you could also have issues with fatty foods? Try a food diary to see if you can narrow down your food triggers.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/502241-the-risks-of-maltodextrin/

Fortisip Vanilla: water, maltodextrin, milk protein (sodium caseinate),
sucrose, vegetable oil (canola oil, sunflower oil), tri potassium citrate,
emulsifier (soy lecithin), flavour (vanilla), magnesium chloride, acidity
regulator (citric acid), tri calcium phosphate, carotenoids (contains
soy) (β-carotene, lutein, lycopene), choline chloride, calcium
hydroxide, potassium hydroxide, sodium L-ascorbate, ferrous lactate,
zinc sulphate, colour (curcumin), magnesium hydroxide, nicotinamide,
retinyl acetate, copper gluconate, DL-α tocopheryl acetate, sodium
selenite, manganese sulphate, calcium D-pantothenate, chromium
chloride, D-biotin, cholecalciferol, thiamin hydrochloride,
pterolylmonoglutamic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride,