• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Nerves are on Edge

I'm about ready to get a part time job.

I know there are a liot of you on here that have full time jobs. But* I am a bundle of nerves.
I've had my share of jobs, but i usually picked them because of there ease of access to the porcilin bus...lol
This one is at Dunkin' Donuts-yeah I know, time to make the donuts...lol
This is nerve racking. I am still flaring, but we just bought a house and we need the extra money.
I am awed by you crohnnies who have full time jobs:worthy:

Rant over

Since I was diagnosed 19 years ago, when I was 16, I've always had the attitude that I must live my life as normally as possible.
And to me, that includes working.

I went to University and have been working full time ever since.
I've been quite luck in that I've only been out of work for approx. 2 months in all that time, either through sickness or unemployed.

I've often thought of quitting work and living off my wife's salary, but I couldn't bring myself to do that at this stage, as I feel I can still contribute to the household. But it is an option in a few years time.

My advise is to take the job.
There is nothing worse than brooding in the house when your not feeling well.
I notice this at the weekends, so if I try and keep busy, my mind doesn't think as much about the Crohn's/pain/toilet.

Also, it will be another social outlet. you my meet your future best friend:)

I will warn you that food service is hard to do when you are feeling bad. I just left my part time food service job for a job at Sears and I love it! I can use the bathroom whenever I need to and I don't get nauseous at the sight of some of the food. Fast food (I know its a Dunkin Donuts... but I consider that fast food) is a really hard job to do if you are going to be working at a busy store. Before my cafe job I worked at a very high volume Arby's and it was just GO GO GO! the whole shift. Thankfully it was ppre-diagnosis... but there I didn't have time to go to the bathroom and you HAVE to work efficiently and fast paced.

Its possible, but I just wanted to let you in on what it was like to work in food service. My cafe job that I just left wasn't so horrible or fast paced, but I still just got tired of dealing with food and smelling the food. Plus I wanted a job in my majors field. Which I got. Anyways... you can always start the job and then look for other better ones whilst working this one.

Eh, I think if I had a job by a toilet and could use it as needed (I mean by it, as in like 10 feet away, sadly, as I've had the urge to go and within 10 feet, already gone before I could have a choice in the matter), that and I go too often, I doubt any employer would accomodate that burden (or thought). I have major fatigue, I dunno, think I'd have to work part time maybe, always tired. I was fairly good at my job (my boss is eager for me to return to help his metrics/sales performance), but there was no option for me to continue in my status. I do feel useless, as in a bum, but I have to remember I would work if I could. I keep getting suggestions to work from home, but then what about benefits/insurance?

You could feel like you're working, but be in privacy, to let your Crohns run free with ravaging your body in the seclusion of your own home, Lady, would a home job be an option? Too bad Mike Yarmo won't hire anybody to post all day (Pen and I are first in line it probably appears, even though I try to limit my time on here as it can be depressing focusing on this stuff).

Just don't get the donut job and try to disguise any messes in powdered sugar so you don't get in trouble after a mishap. (too gross, sorry)